1893 Fore Stock Removal

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

thomasrodco
Beginner

1893 Fore Stock Removal

Post by thomasrodco »

Needing to do a little refinishing work on the wood of my late brother's Model 1893, 38-55 rifle.
The butt stock was broken, and had a missing piece, so I now have a replacement stock on its way from Macon Gunstocks.
Since I'm going to have a brand new butt, the very old, almost black finish on the fore stock will need to redone as well since I doubt I'd be able to recreate that on the new stock.
My question is, how do I remove the fore end?
I see there are two screws that secure the end cap of the fore end. Also, there is one screw that is mounted on the end of the magazine.
Is there anything I need to know about taking this off, or should it all just slide out (after the 125 years of gunk is loosened) once these are removed?
Once the fore end is off, I'll also probably will be looking for any advise on fitting the new butt, since I've never done that either.
I do have a can of inlet black coming as well, but have never used it.
thanks in advance!
Steve
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1893 Fore Stock Removal

Post by marlinman93 »

Remove the two screws holding the forearm cap, and slide the cap forward on the tube. Then remove the single screw at the end, being careful to keep a finger over the end as you pull the screw. The spring inside can push the end plug out as you lower the assembly, so keep it held in place! Once you've lowered the tube assembly below the stud up front, the whole assembly can be moved forward to drop away.

Be sure not to sand the old finish off, as it will result in the wood being low, and look horrible! Strip it with chemical stripper, and use a stain remover like acetone and whitening powder to pull the dark staining from the wood. Then it can be cleaned and matched to the new buttstock.
But a better idea is to buy a stock set, so buttstock and forearm are 100% matching. Precision Gun Stocks sells complete sets reasonably, and will result in a much nicer end result.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
thomasrodco
Beginner

Re: 1893 Fore Stock Removal

Post by thomasrodco »

Thank you very much!