Marlin 1881 - "black powder only" ??

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Eighteenninetytwo
Beginner

Marlin 1881 - "black powder only" ??

Post by Eighteenninetytwo »

I was looking at a Marlin 1881 in 45-70 and the seller said it was for black powder only , as recommended by marlin. Is this someone being uber careful, or is it legit and we shouldn't use modern cartridges with these rifles at all?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1881 - "black powder only" ??

Post by marlinman93 »

BS. If you know what you're doing, and keep loads at 25,000 cup or below, the 1881 is fine with the right smokeless powders. I shoot nothing but smokeless in numerous 1881's I own.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Eighteenninetytwo
Beginner

Post by Eighteenninetytwo »

I don't reload at all so I would be dependent upon upon commercially available 45-70 cartridges (and the associated costs). Are there any specific cartridge manufactures you would recommend that make 45 -70 ammo that is specifically lower pressure and thus suitable for older rifles?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Right now buying ammo will be tough, as everyone is out of stock on everything! But both Black Hills Ammo, and HSM Cowboy ammo are good sources. Always choose ammo that is cast lead bullets, as jacketed is a poor choice for the 1881 or other BP softer steel barrels.
It's going to be very expensive to buy loaded ammo since you don't reload!! Figure about $50 per 20 rd. box if you can find any at all.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!