Marlin 93 30-30 Carbine - Serial number question - Not making sense!! HELP!!

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

THREEDFLYER
Beginner

Marlin 93 30-30 Carbine - Serial number question - Not making sense!! HELP!!

Post by THREEDFLYER »

Hello all, it's been a while since I visited the forum, but I am in need of some expert help with this one.

I am posting several photos and running the serial number which is C3307 as far as I can tell I am not able to pin down the date.
Wondering if the lower tang assembly has been swapped out?

There are some small numbers stamped on the left side of the barrel near the receiver that are 10197 and may be a rack number or ???

Any help with this one is greatly appreciated!

THREEDFLYER
Beginner

Re: Marlin 93 30-30 Carbine - Serial number question - Not making sense!! HELP!!

Post by THREEDFLYER »

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 93 30-30 Carbine - Serial number question - Not making sense!! HELP!!

Post by marlinman93 »

I can't say what the numbers on the left side of the barrel are, but they aren't something done at Marlin most likely. You can easily confirm the lower tang is original by pulling the buttstock screw and removing the buttstock. The upper tang left side will have the same number as the lower tang if original.
The serial number, and location on the lower tang under the lever tells me it's a late model '93. I would guess it's early 1930's, or there about.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
THREEDFLYER
Beginner

Post by THREEDFLYER »

OK, if you are telling me that the S/N is stamped on the upper tang and should match the lower I will check it out.....was not aware of that.
Will report back.
THREEDFLYER
Beginner

Post by THREEDFLYER »

I removed the butt stock and indeed the number on the left side of the upper tang is C3307 and matches the lower tang.

Best I can come up with for production year is 1945 based on the "C" letter prefix.

Maybe someone can confirm??

The carbine sure seems to be older....

Here is a photo showing the numbers stamped on the left side of the barrel.....
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

ThreeDFlyer;

The Marlin Model '93 was discontinued in 1936 with the production of the Model 1936. Your Marlin does not have the trademark Marlin Bullseye in the stock, which is a little unusual, but Brophy mentions on page 524 that for a year or two during the depression, the trademark was not installed in the stocks. He mentions the 1930's, which would be about right for your carbine.
Cannot tell you what the numbers on the side of the barrel are for, maybe a rack number, (kinda high numbers for a rack number though) or maybe a driver's license number of the owner at the time. It is something that may never be known.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
THREEDFLYER
Beginner

Post by THREEDFLYER »

When I run the S/N on the Marlin serial number lookup web page it does not come up using the C3307 number on the gun

If I enter just the 3307 it states that it's a pre-1884 gun....which is obviously not right......

Seems to me that if this gun is from the 1930's it would not have a letter prefix

My older Marlins have the S/N on the bottom of the receiver, like the Winchesters do.

Still confused here folks.....
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

ThreeDFlyer;

After the Marlin family sold the business in late 1915, the new Companies ( Marlin Arms and Marlin-Rockwell) started using letter prefixes to the serial number. Those serial numbers were up near the forearm like before.
After 1921, the Company changed hands again, and the new Marlin Firearms Corporation moved the serial number back, under the lever and continued to add the letter prefix to the serial number.
The Company changed hands again in 1924 to become the Marlin Firearms Company again and the same serializing method continued.
In 1940, Marlin went to the new letter prefix system that they used up to 1968. That is the system you are looking at that does not apply to guns made prior to 1940. That system used prior to 1940 is confusing, and has never been totally figured out as to exactly when each letter prefix was used.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.