Model 93 Parts Diagram or Pics?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jlascody
Beginner

Model 93 Parts Diagram or Pics?

Post by jlascody »

Hi all,

I have my grandfather's Model 93 C3856 (under the lever). No bullseye anywhere that I can see. I fired it a fgew years ago with no issue. Took it back out Saturday and it would not fire. Tried different ammo. Nothing. I decided to take it apart and check for gunk/build up. I could not see anything that resembled a firing pin. So, a parts diagram for a Model 93 would be awesome to see what is supposed to be there. And, where do you find parts for these older rifles?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jim
BillBlab
Beginner

Re: Model 93 Parts Diagram or Pics?

Post by BillBlab »

Jim, here is what I learned from Marlinman93 on this forum.
The Marlin Safety firing pin consists of a long front firing pin and a shorter rear firing pin. Both are obviously contained in the breech bolt
With the breech bolt in the rearward position you can easily see the rear firing pin from the left side of the rifle. It should be leaning down but you should be able to easily push it up with just your finger tip. This the "safety" feature of the rifle. The rear pin only goes into alignment when the cocking lever is fully closed. Check to see if this rear pin moves freely in and out of alignment. If it does not, then you need to replace the rear pin spring and/or clean gunk out of that area.

If the rear pin moves freely, then you need to disassemble the breech bolt. I am assuming you know how to get the breech bolt out of the receiver. There are three pins that need to be punched out. One holds the extractor in place at the front of the bolt. If the extractor works correctly you do not have to remove this one. The other two pins hold the firing pins in place. Remove the pins,extract the front firing pin and check for a build up of oil and gunk around the front firing pin. If there is a build up of "stuff", that may be enough to prevent the front firing pin from moving forward and backward. Also check that the front firing pin spring has good tension.

There are several web sites offering parts for the Marlin 93. Numrich Parts and Guns in New York has an exploded diagram of the parts they offer on their web site. However, it is not complete (e.g., it does not show the rear firing pin or spring). That is the only drawing I could ever find. There is no information on Marlin 93 on the Marlin Corporate site. Search on Marlin Model 93 parts and you will find other sources. E-Bay is another place to search. Screws can be obtained from Larry Osborn at Marlin Screws. He is on this forum.

Hope this helps. cheers, bill
jlascody
Beginner

Post by jlascody »

Thanks! I stumbled upon the Numrich site and ordered the front firing pin and a new spring. Rear firing pin was fine. Got the parts today and re-assembled the rifle. However, I feel like I won the battle but lost the war. Now the lever action is not as smooth.

Initially, it seemed like the hammer was ever so slightly to the left (or the breech ever so slightly to the right) and it would block the breech from coming back. I disassembled and reassembled several times. It is smooth coming back when the hammer is cocked. Otherwise, it is slightly difficult to operate without some extra force such that you can't operate the lever action if you were trying to remain in your shooting stance. Prior to this it was very smooth. I am not sure what I did or didn't do or what to tweak as there aren't many parts and they seem to only go together one way. Could use some tips on this from you or anyone else. Maybe Marlinman93 can offer some tips?

Thanks,
Jim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

See your other post. And check that mainspring to ensure it's centered on the hammer.

Not sure how the hammer could be off to either side? It fits into the frame with just enough clearance to operate. No way it can be off to one side unless it was thinned by someone.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
jlascody
Beginner

Post by jlascody »

Ok, it was never thinned by anyone (Grampa, my dad, or me are the only owners). I was trying to paint a picture of what I saw. Your other post was helpful for somethings to check. I agree - there aren't many parts to being with and only go in one way but I've managed to mess up the smooth lever action prior to the firing pin replacement.