Replacement stock for 1893 Marlin?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

JaboobiGinips
Beginner

Replacement stock for 1893 Marlin?

Post by JaboobiGinips »

Hi, I noticed the original stock for my 1893 Marlin .38-55 rifle is cracked and I know that firing a rifle with a cracked stock is extremely unsafe as the force from firing can destroy it. I tried looking around on here for advice on finding a suitable replacement, but mine is so old that I don't know exactly what stock would fit it just off of looking at pictures online. Can anyone recommend a company to go through/what stock I should get? Serial # for the rifle is 90894.

Thanks!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Replacement stock for 1893 Marlin?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jaoobiginips;

A new replacement stock can be purchased from Precision Gun Stocks of Kerrville, Texas (www.precisiongunstocks.com) You will have to do a little fitting and finishing, but not all that much.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

JaboobiGinips, you can also find used stocks on ebay, gunbroker and it is very likely that you can fix the stock you have too.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I wouldn't buy a used Marlin lever gun stock, as each gun was individually fitted with it's own stock, and likely another may be a poor fit.
I used to have a box full of Marlin buttstocks and forearms for various models before 1930, and occasionally I'd buy one that needed a stock, and go through all my spares in hopes one would be a decent fit. Rarely did I get one that was, and most times the wood was low to the metal, had some other fitment issue that made me go order a 90% inletted set and fit new stocks to the project.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
JaboobiGinips
Beginner

Post by JaboobiGinips »

Brent wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm JaboobiGinips, you can also find used stocks on ebay, gunbroker and it is very likely that you can fix the stock you have too.
Won't trying to work on the stock diminish the value? I was thinking it would be smarter to just take off the old stock and hold on to it and get a new one to use for firing.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

A cracked stock is never worth what the ORIGINAL uncracked stock is worth. But neither is a replacement stock. Without seeing the gun, I can't say that I would prefer the properly repair original to a replacement, but it's more than likely.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

JaboobiGinips wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:13 pm
Brent wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm JaboobiGinips, you can also find used stocks on ebay, gunbroker and it is very likely that you can fix the stock you have too.
Won't trying to work on the stock diminish the value? I was thinking it would be smarter to just take off the old stock and hold on to it and get a new one to use for firing.
A bad stock is more of a deficit, but without seeing your stock crack, it's tough for me to say how bad it is, or how it affects the value? I personally would always try to retain the original if it can be repaired properly, and not make a mess of it. A properly repaired original stock is the next best thing to the same perfct original stock.
I'd only replace the stock if there are no options to repairing the original. And cracked stocks don't break simply because they're cracked. It depends on what caused the crack. Often owners tighten the tang screw too tightly, which draws the tangs down into the wrist and creates a split back from the screw hole. Whatever caused the crack needs to be fixed whenever the crack is fixed.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
tennesseetom
Beginner

Post by tennesseetom »

Precision Gunstocks turns out a quality product; I just replaced a cracked forend on a 39 with one of theirs. I’m now in the process of re-stocking a Model 92, and I might be able to save you a little grief here. I checked all of the stock-makers I could find, and none of them listed semi-inlet stocks for anything older than an 1897. The last place I called, Macon Gunstocks in Warsaw, MO, had the answer. Bryan, the owner, told me that on the earlier(pre-1897)Marlins, there were several different stock configurations. They offered curved or flat(shotgun style), and there were several variations on upper and lower tang length, and nobody keeps pre-cut stocks in their inventory, be its a crap-shoot as to which combination a customer will need. The good news is, he has a high-end duplicator, and if you send him your original stock, he can cut you a nice semi-inlet stock with just a couple of weeks turnaround time. Also, if you are just replacing the stock, you can strip the lacquer off of your forend(just slip it in an old sock, soak the sock with lacquer thinner, let it sit for about 10 minutes and then wipe it off)and send it along with the stock, and he has enough blanks to get you a good color match with the walnut. Hope this helps, and good luck with your project!