Marlin 1893 Takedown

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Couper
Beginner

Marlin 1893 Takedown

Post by Couper »

Can someone tell me the barrel lengths that were available for the 1893 Takedown rifles.

I've heard anywhere from 15 inch to 26 inch, also 18 inch and 20 inch.

Thanks
John
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1893 Takedown

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

John;

Barrels can measure anywhere from 15 inches up to 32 inches, usually in 2 inch increments. The exception would be from the 15 inch length to the 18 inch barrel length. Although there are some 16 inch barrel lengths, only 1 inch longer than the 15 inch length.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I guess what Rick is saying in response to Couper's question. Model 1893's in Take Downs were offered in all barrel lengths. I have 30", 28", 26" and 24" in TDs. I have seen photos of 32" TD but never seen anything shorter then 24". I am sure they are out there and likely some members may have some. Might make a good study?
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I owned an 1893 "Carbine/rifle" with 18" half octagon barrel, half magazine, takedown. It was a carbine buttstock and buttplate, with saddlering in the receiver, but rifle front half. Had a very similar 18" takedown half carbine 1894 in .25-20 also. Marlin would make about anything they could if the customer asked. I always surmised that someone ordered a carbine in takedown, and Marlin told them the front half would need to be rifle configuration.
I owned a 32" 1893 in .32-40 that was one of the Grade B marked barrels, and it too was a takedown. Another example of what Marlin would do if the customer wanted it.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!