Value and Condition of Model 39

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

AverageJoe
Beginner

Value and Condition of Model 39

Post by AverageJoe »

Hey there, I was curious about a rifle my father is trying to sell, he collects but he has no idea what it's worth and the local gun stores have been jerkin us around so I was hoping someone might have some insight into what we've got and what it's worth. I know it's a Model 39 made in the late '20s, that part of a sight is missing, and that it has some slight rust on the barrel, but as far as I can tell it's in otherwise really good shape compared to others I've seen online. He's also got the original bag that came with it, it's had new leather handles put on it because the old ones disintegrated, but he's got those old pieces in a bag as well.

Is this in good condition? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to sell it? I saw there was a sales board here, just have to learn how to use it still.

Still working out how to post images here but here's a link to an imgur gallery with pictures of the rifle: https://imgur.com/gallery/3fpizHT

Thanks everyone
AverageJoe
Beginner

Re: Value and Condition of Model 39

Post by AverageJoe »

Here's a more comprehensive gallery, I forgot to add the rust spots on the barrel so this gallery should have them, last picture

http://imgur.com/a/UTl6Q23
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Value and Condition of Model 39

Post by marlinman93 »

That's about as good as it gets for a Model 39 Marlin! The "rust" is really non existent, and almost not worth mentioning if it was being sold. The pictures of course show some very minor freckling, but not to the level I;d call rust.
As for where to sell it. I'd list it on Gunbroker and let the bidders decide what it's worth, vs. trying to sell it to a gun shop, or consign it to a gun shop. I think a 39 in this condition could easily go $1500, and it might surprise me and go up closer to $2,000. There's just not enough of them this nice to use as an example of what the market is at.
The only thing that might hurt the auction price is if you have no account at GB. People tend to shy away from new sellers, so in many cases it might be better to consign it with someone who has a long history of 100% satisfied sales. Those who have a good history, and get big dollars, will often result in more money to you at the end price. Here's a seller who has gotten record prices on most of his sales, and is an A+ rated seller. He's also someone I've used often for high end guns like yours, and been extremely satisfied with the results.

https://www.gunauction.com/shop/gunshop/jackthedog

The canvas case would likely have been an accessory purchased wherever the original owner purchased the gun, and not from Marlin. But it is period correct, and no reason to doubt it could have been with this gun it's entire life. Adding it to an auction only makes the package more desirable.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!