39a micro groove scope

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

slo
Beginner

39a micro groove scope

Post by slo »

I have a model 39a golden manufactured in 1957 which came with a Marlin Micro View 4X pencil scope can anyone tell me
Who built these scopes for Marlin? Side note I purchased it from a neighbor who was retiring and moving away in about
1972 or 73 . I paid $35.00 for it along with a brick of ammo and a cleaning kit. Goes to prove even a blind squirrel gets
An Acorn once in awhile. Thanks
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: 39a micro groove scope

Post by Brent »

I have no idea about your scope, but I would love to see some photos. I may find something in a reference book at home. If I do, I'll post it.

Brent
slo
Beginner

Post by slo »

Brent:
I think I found the answer to my own question. " The old gunsight & rifle scope identification & price guide." By
Nick Stroebel 2008 lists Marlin scopes made from about 1936 to 1978. A total of 14 scopes are shown. I also have a
July 1964 edition of Gun Shooting Times which has an add for Marlin rifle scopes.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Over the years that Marlin offered scopes for rifles they were made by a number of different manufacturers. From 1938 to the late 50's the makers were all US companies. Then they sourced their scopes from Japan, but they were still pretty good quality.
If your scope was purchased at the same time as the gun in 1957, then it should be marked "Made in USA" on the tube. Guessing it probably has the "gold" trim on it also. I've got one sitting here from the same period and it's gold trimmed. Need to sell it to someone as I'll never use it.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!