older Marlin level action rifle .22 cal type

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Lwarrior4545
Beginner

older Marlin level action rifle .22 cal type

Post by Lwarrior4545 »

I am trying to find out more on this serial number is 447421 they cant tell what model is????? and how much worth to sell it ?????? I dooo want sell this gun Anyone knows more about this please let me know Thank You give some valueable information about this gun I do have pictures from my other cellphone...this gun is 22 cal long barrel rifle
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: older Marlin level action rifle .22 cal type

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Lwarrior4545;

With a serial number in the 447,000 range, it is too high for existing records, but as a .22 caliber rifle, it will be either a Model '92 or a Model '97. The model number identifying this rifle will be stamped on the upper tang, behind the hammer. If there is a tang mounted sight on the upper tang, you will need to remove it to see the model number.
No one here will be willing to give an estimation of value without at least seeing some pictures of it. Value is determined by the amount and condition of the remaining original factory finish on the wood and metal. If the gun as been refinished, that will affect the overall condition and value. Without knowing these conditions, it is not possible to give an estimation of value. Also, any existing factory special order features will affect the overall value as well.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Lwarrior4545
Beginner

Post by Lwarrior4545 »

I found out it was N on the tang of the rifle also I did not realize it was 97 model now I try to download all pictures of rifle here but cant firgure how things work here lol sorry I try do my best ....
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Lwarrior4545;

Instructions to upload pictures can be found on the first post in the section titled "No Longer Guest Questions"
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

An "N" prefix? I'm not sure I've ever seen a Model '97 with an N prefix. What are the barrel rollstamp markings? And pictures are a must! This doesn't sound like a '97 to me.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Lwarrior4545
Beginner

Post by Lwarrior4545 »

Maybe I can email you my pictures I still confused about download into my post show everyone to see this picture strange I never been read boards before lol
Lwarrior4545
Beginner

Post by Lwarrior4545 »

well my marlin level action has markings on near to hammer say model 97 and either N or Z on tang when I cocked the hammer off from firing pin where I seen markings N or Z I talk here please tell me what you know what it means to what kind of marlin level action rifle was or made from or what year is it so I know problem with is value of the gun ??? some guns worth about 600-3000 dollars to sell them
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Unless the prefix letter is right in front of the serial number, then it has nothing to do with the serial number, and isn't a prefix letter. So it appears your gun being marked "Model '97" and having that mark in a place away from the serial number, is indeed a Model '97.
I would simply refer you to the same instructions Regnier mentioned so you can post pictures here and we might get an idea of what your gun is worth.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!