39a from sears

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Rutgerssmith
Beginner

39a from sears

Post by Rutgerssmith »

I just purchased a really nice 1954 L prefix 39a with a weaver B4 scope mounted to the barrel. I have read elsewhere the these guns were drilled and tapped by marlin for sears and sold with the scope. the gun only has the usual markings from marlin but the weaver scope is marked j c higgins. so far so good. the rifle has the normal front sight but the rear sight dovetail slot is empty. no sight or filler block. My question is was that the way they were sold or am I looking for a rear sight ?

thanks all
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 39a from sears

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rutgerssmith;

Yeah, you need a rear sight. You should be able to find one on eBay.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Rutgerssmith
Beginner

Post by Rutgerssmith »

Thanks Regnier,

the dovetail slot is perfectly clean with perfect bluing so
i wondered if maybe these scoped 39a's were sold without a rear installed

is there any particular collector value to these Sears guns as I'm not real impressed with the weaver B4 and might want to drill and tap the receiver for a regular base. I own quite a few 39s and 39a's and use them for small game here in WV

Also anyone have a 1959 39a they might be willing to part with? or trade for another 50's 39a in good cond. Id like one born the year I was
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rutgerssmith;

There are collectors out there that would like an original "made for Sears" gun. If you have other guns to shoot, then you should not modify this one as it just takes one collector piece out of the market forever. If it were in very poor condition, then it would be different as condition drives the collector market more than anything other than rarity.
As far as the rear sight goes, the Brophy book shows the Sears gun with a rear sight in place, and it the owner wanted to remove the scope to shoot the gun without a scope, then a rear sight would be needed.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.