Marlin 1881?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

53Chevy
Beginner

Marlin 1881?

Post by 53Chevy »

Can someone help me verify the model and approximate value of a Marlin lever action rifle. I will attempt to attach some pictures below.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/MGVBgNK7Hk6X1pTu6

Thanks,

Joey
desertminer
Beginner

Re: Marlin 1881?

Post by desertminer »

Hi Joey,

What you have is an 1881 Marlin chambered in 32-40. As you said in your previous post, it was made in roughly 1887. In total it is believed that Marlin made about 20,500 model of 1881 rifles, of which 1,700-1,800 were chambered in 32-40. It appears to have been the least popular caliber of the 4 different calibers offered (45-70/45-85,40-60 Marlin, 38-55, and 32-40).

I am currently doing research on 1881 marlin rifles and have cataloged a good number of them in hopes of writing a book. I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions to help me learn a bit more about your rifle that I cant tell from looking at the pictures you have provided.

What does the first line of the barrel address say?
What is the barrel length?
Is the tang of the receiver behind the hammer drilled and tapped for a tang sight?
Are there any additional markings on the gun besides the serial number under the receiver, the barrel address, and the caliber marking?

This will help me complete my entry. I am doing this so that we can learn more about the rifles beyond what is noted in the factory records. If you are interested in reading more about what I am doing, I have a post in this same forum entitled "Attention 1881 Marlin Owners" which details a lot about what I am trying to discover.

Thank you,
Corbin
53Chevy
Beginner

Post by 53Chevy »

I really appreciate the reply, below is what I found.
First line on top of barrel says,,, ** Marlin Fire Arms Co. New Haven CT U.S.A **
Second line there are a lot of dates...
25” barrel to receiver
The tang is drilled and tapped
On the right side of the barrel in front of receiver there are initials DW. Also inside the butt plate it has the matching serial number.

The magazine and butt plate are nickel, was that an option? Also, do you have an approximate value?

Thanks,
Joey
53Chevy
Beginner

Post by 53Chevy »

I added a few more photos to the previous link that shows the barrel engraving and tang.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

A very nice small frame 1881 Marlin. Unfortunately the magazine tube, forearm tip, and buttplate nickel is not original to the gun. If you removed them and took them to a plating company they can remove the nickel, and then they can be properly refinished. The mag tube should be blued, and buttplate and forearm cap should be color casehardened. Once that's done the value will be much better.
As it sits, I'd guess it's down around $800-$1,000. After proper restoration I'd guess it would be closer to twice the low end estimate.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
53Chevy
Beginner

Post by 53Chevy »

Thanks for the information, very helpful. Is there a place you can recommend to remove the nickel and refinish the parts in original finish? I am in the Bowling Green, Ky area but can send it anywhere.

Thanks,

Joey
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

As for removing the nickel, I'd take those parts to a plating company and have it removed. Once removed I'd send the parts to Al Springer at Snowy Mountain Bluing in Moore, Mt. to have the tube rust blued, and the other parts color cased. Al does great work at very reasonable prices.
53Chevy
Beginner

Post by 53Chevy »

I have added a picture that shows a missing screw just in front of the trigger, can anyone direct me to a place where I can purchase a replacement?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If that screw is missing, then the lever spring is likely loose inside, or removed! You'll need to check it to see if it's inside, so you know if you need a new spring also!

Check here for the screw:

viewtopic.php?t=24295

Might ask if he has the spring too, if yours is missing.
53Chevy
Beginner

Post by 53Chevy »

Thank you, you’ve been most helpful to a novice Marlin owner. Also your recommendation of Al Springer for bluing was spot on!