Marlin 39 A D prefix - extreme rarity

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hivelocitie
Beginner

Marlin 39 A D prefix - extreme rarity

Post by Hivelocitie »

Hi guys and thanks for the addition to your group. I have been a gun dealer for a very long time - retired now for a few years... Almost my entire life I have loved and collected guns -primarily rim fires and over the years I've come across some pretty cool pieces. One thing I learned long ago is that the "book" rarely tells the whole story in guns. I have a marlin 39A 2nd Model, D Prefix rifle - it shows as a 1947 build..... My research taught me that very few rifles were even made that year and most of the resources our country had that were used to build guns were used in the war effort. It was my understanding through my research that Marlin (and others) were forced to use parts from earlier production runs to get product off the line and in the market. This little 39 is an example of that - While it is a 47 - it sports a color case hardened receiver (blue'd from 46 on by the book). I'm getting old - and I am going to start moving much of my collection. My question for you guys is simple - what are your thoughts ? Has anyone ever even heard of a CCH 1947 39A ??? Is this possibly a one off survivor? I promise you this -I'm old school and a stand up dealer - I'll post it where i am supposed to and will not under any circumstances sell it here. I just want some more input from people that I'm sure know more than me. Thanks, Jerry