Seeking information on my model 1893

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ariseman
Beginner

Seeking information on my model 1893

Post by ariseman »

Hi,
I just inherited a Model 1893, serial number D6955 but can't find any information on this model. Can anyone tell me about this beautiful rifle or where to look for information? Thanks and have a great day, andrew
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Seeking information on my model 1893

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Andrew;

Where is "D" serial number located? Is it up near the forearm, or under the lever?
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
ariseman
Beginner

Post by ariseman »

Hi and thanks for the quick reply. The tag is near the forearm. I tried to attach photos but can't get it to work yet.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Andrew;

This is a late Model 1893, and with the "D" serial number prefix up by the forearm, that would make the gun produced in the 1919/1920 time frame. There are no records for this period, and many of the guns made were assembled from parts on hand from the old Marlin Firearms Company that was bought out in December of 1915. Most of the work at the factory was dedicated to war work, but there was some sporting arms assembled to keep employees busy.
After 1921, the model designation was changed to "Marlin Mod. '93" and the serial number moved back, under the lever.

ariseman
Beginner

Post by ariseman »

Excellent, thanks so much for the information. In case it helps, it also says under the adjustable rear sight "=For Black Powder=" and along the barrel, "Marlin Firearms Co., New-Haven, CT. USA Pat'D Oct. 11. 1887 April 2, 1889. Aug 1 XXXX" . (The end year was out of focus on the picture.)

Also, how do I tell what caliber it is or what ammunition I should use?

It seems to be in very good condition. What would an approximate value be or how would I get it appraised? Thanks again, andrew
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Andrew;

This is a "B" grade Model 1893. That means it was made after 1905, and it has a soft steel barrel that will not hold up to jacketed ammunition.
The "B" grade guns were made in only 2 calibers, either .32-40 or .38-55. It should be marked on top of the barrel, just in front of the receiver.
Since the "For Black Powder" is under the rear sight, then your barrel must have been set back as that marking should be on the side of the barrel, not on top. That may be why you do not see the caliber marking if the barrel has been shortened. That should have changed the dovetails for the sights, magazine tube stud and the forearm tennon. Look closely to see if you can see any remnants of other dovetails. If this was done at the factory, they will be hard to see if they were filled in.

ariseman
Beginner

Post by ariseman »

Thanks again!