Mod 92 with letter prefix serial number

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Rutgerssmith
Beginner

Mod 92 with letter prefix serial number

Post by Rutgerssmith »

I recently acquired a very clean "Model 92" with a C prefix serial number C68xx about 95% blue on barrel and receiver with "Marlin Firearms Co" roll mark on barrel. Most of what I can find on the net lists a capital C or small c as 1945 or 46. My understanding was that the 92 was discontinued in 15.
Did they do a "cleanup run" of old parts after the war ???? what do I have / thanks guys
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Mod 92 with letter prefix serial number

Post by marlinman93 »

The C prefix that applies for later guns in the WWII era doesn't apply for your '92. Your gun is from just before WWI era.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Rutgerssmith
Beginner

Post by Rutgerssmith »

Thank you sir.

your knowledge base is greatly appreciated !!!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rutgerssmith;

The letter prefixes started with the Marlin Arms Corporation and Marlin-Rockwell Corporation that took over the company in 1916. The letter A was first in 1916/1917, letter B in 1917/1918, your letter C in 1918/1819 and D in 1919/1920. It was a new way to serialize the guns that was similar to what the Marlin Firearms Company used, located up near the forearm. After 1921, the new Marlin Firearms Corporation moved the serial number back, under the lever. The Model '92 was discontinued with the takeover by the Marlin Firearms Corporation in 1921.
Not many sporting arms were made using parts on hand from the old Marlin Firearms Company during these years as the company was contracted to make machine guns for the war.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.