A semi idle question

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Brent
Sharpshooter

A semi idle question

Post by Brent »

I was in the Omaha Cabelas briefly looking to get lucky on a shotgun. Failed.

On my way out of the store, I saw they had a Marlin in a glass case on the wall. it was an 1894 .44-40. Case colored (bone charcoal it appeared), looked brand new, modern (ugly) checkered stock with that diamond pattern in the wrist. My very quick impression was that it was fairly well fit to the metal.

While I was driving through snow and ice for the next 4 hrs I got to thinking about the gun and was wondering if this was a new-made Marlin. If so, I did not know they were making case colored rifles like this. It certainly seemed a bit better than what I had heard new Marlins were like.

There were two 39s in the store. One for a bit over $1000 that was a nice looking example but the other was just $350ish. It had been 'de blued" somehow. Probably wire brushed. I didn't look at it very long.

Anyway, thought I would ask about that 1894. It wasn't a half bad looking rifle for a modern made one, if only they quit that ridiculous checkering pattern and cheap poly wood finishing.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: A semi idle question

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Brent;

The only case-colored Model 1894 that was done at the factory that I am aware of was the Model 1894 Century Limited. But, the receiver was also engraved. (actually a roll stamp to simulate engraving) This one may be something someone did on their own.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: A semi idle question

Post by Brent »

Thanks. That is what I was thinking. Wish I had looked at it a little closer.