Marlin 1893

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

1srelluc
Beginner

Marlin 1893

Post by 1srelluc »

I traded for this reconditioned .30-30 M1893 today and was wondering what year it was made. Serial # D6214....The serial number look-up sites are not much help.

The guy I got it from said his dad had it refinished either in the late 50s or early 60s.

When I detail cleaned (plus made a small heel repair) as best as i could tell all the serials matched except the underside of the butt-plate. Strong bore and it works as it should.

I noticed it was D&Ted for a receiver mounted aperture sight as well as a tang sight. I have a tang sight that fits the 1893 but was just wondering what the receiver sight was.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1893

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

1srelluc;

With a "D" prefix in the position you show, and marked "Model 1893", your rifle would have been made in the 1919/1920 time frame.
The receiver is drilled and tapped for the Marlin-Hepburn receiver sight that was invented in 1903. After August of 1903 and up to 1921, Marlin drilled and tapped all rifle receivers for the Hepburn sight. These sights are quite hard to find as most Marlin collectors hang onto them whenever they get one. The Lever Action Rifle Company reproduced them back in the 1990's and a few might still be available. Check the "FOR SALE" section here, and the very first post for "Marlin Screws" as that was the fellow that made the sight to see if he has any left.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
1srelluc
Beginner

Post by 1srelluc »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:11 pm 1srelluc;

With a "D" prefix in the position you show, and marked "Model 1893", your rifle would have been made in the 1919/1920 time frame.
The receiver is drilled and tapped for the Marlin-Hepburn receiver sight that was invented in 1903. After August of 1903 and up to 1921, Marlin drilled and tapped all rifle receivers for the Hepburn sight. These sights are quite hard to find as most Marlin collectors hang onto them whenever they get one. The Lever Action Rifle Company reproduced them back in the 1990's and a few might still be available. Check the "FOR SALE" section here, and the very first post for "Marlin Screws" as that was the fellow that made the sight to see if he has any left.
Thank you.

Something else I noted that was a bit odd is the butt-stock.....The butt-plate in particular. While it is crescent shaped there is no "shelf" that goes over the comb of the stock.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

1srelluc;

That style of butt plate was a style that was used later by Marlin. You will see it on guns made after 1900.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

I have a butt plate just like it. My 93 is an A serial number, if i recall correctly.
1srelluc
Beginner

Post by 1srelluc »

Thanks guys, I thought that during the refinish someone might have got "creative" with it.