39M Octagon Identification

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

cstinch
Beginner

39M Octagon Identification

Post by cstinch »

I've posted on another forum but I'm hoping I can narrow down what I have. The link for that post is below and it includes pictures.

From what I can tell with reading older posts, it's a 39M Octagon made in 1960(August) - 1961(August). This is due to the serial # starting with "U". It also has a 20 inch barrel and a fold down rear sight. The numbers inside the receiver and action all match.

It also has a rounded lever versus a square one, which throws me off.

The other forum suggested that the rifle appears to have had the barrel and the stock replaced. I would just like to narrow down the years for each or (ideally) identify it has a super rare 39M.. :lol: :o

Thanks in advance,

Chris

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... ?t=1149479
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 39M Octagon Identification

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Chris;

That is quite the mixture of parts there. The receiver is a 39-A (pistol grip stock instead of a straight grip stock as on a Mountie), the wood from what appears to be a 39-AS ( checking as on the later guns) and a 39-M octagon barrel.
The U prefix is 1960/1961 but the 39M Octagon did not come out until 1972. Marlin did introduce octagon barrels in 1970 to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of Marlin's founding. That style checking did not come out on the 39-AS until 1993/1994.
That is what I see.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
cstinch
Beginner

Re: 39M Octagon Identification

Post by cstinch »

Thank you!