Newbie Question - What model Marlin 336 do I have?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

papamarlin
Beginner

Newbie Question - What model Marlin 336 do I have?

Post by papamarlin »

Just purchased my first lever action rifle. A Marlin 336 Carbine which I checked the serial number and found, if I am correct, to be made in 1975, Serial # starts with 25xxxxx so 100-25 = 75 (1975) on the upper stock tang but no other markings. It has a JM proof mark on the 20 inch barrel. I want to research the model but I do not know what classification it is, A, W, M, etc. so I can start looking for parts and know how to best service it as needed. The rear sight needs to be replaced and I may want to change the lever to a big loop.

Thanks for any help.
papamarlin
Beginner

Re: Newbie Question - What model Marlin 336 do I have?

Post by papamarlin »

I realized that I answered my own question in the OP. 1975 336C. Bought it for a song and a dance. Looking forward to shooting it soon after I clean it and learn the internals.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Newbie Question - What model Marlin 336 do I have?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Papamarlin;

So long as the parts you buy are for a Model 336 version made prior to 1984 ( introduction of the cross bolt safety ) the parts pretty much interchange, even if you have a Glenfield version of the 336. The main difference between the Marlin 336 and the Glenfield version is the stock wood. The Glenfield version used a walnut stained hardwood instead of walnut as used on the Marlin.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.