Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Michael J. Spangler
Beginner

Prototype 1894 Question

Post by Michael J. Spangler »

Hello guys and gals.

This is my first post here.

My friend picked up a prototype Marlin 1894 in 357 with a ROUND bolt.
I've posted this on other websites and had some non believers but it was confirmed that this was in fact a tool room prototype.
After buying it he realized he really didn't need it or want to hold onto it. He was hoping to find an auction house or a show that dealt primarily with Marlin firearms to be able to sell it off.

I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm going to try to post some pictures now. This thing is a beauty and is super smooth. Also it's a pistol grip which is unique.
Thank you all in advance for the advice
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Prototype 1894 Question

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Michael;

If this is a true tool room prototype, it will have an odd serial number. Can you post the serial number?
How was it confirmed to be a tool room prototype?
Marlin did make a Model 336 back in 1963 & 1964 chambered for the .44 Magnum cartridge. Are you sure it is not one of these Model 336's chambered for the .44 Magnum cartridge.
Looking forward to your reply.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Michael J. Spangler
Beginner

I don't have the serial handy but it appears to be a normal serial range without any strange prefixes. I called "Remlin" about it and they have it listed as a 1894 in 357 without any other info.
I spoke to TomRay on marlin owners and he was able to shed some light on it. I had a thread going on Marlinowners last spring about it.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894 ... otype.html

Now how does one go about submitting pictures on this forum?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Michael;

Instructions for posting photos are outlined on the first post of the section labeled 'NO LONGER GUEST QUESTIONS".
The guns that Marlin sold out of the vault were serial numbered and sold with a prefix of AE.

Michael J. Spangler
Beginner

I see now. I can't upload directly.
I gave up on photo bucket a couple years ago. Did you follow the link to marlin owners to see the pictures on there.
I'll check on the serial but I don't believe it had a letter prefix.

Is there a good show or auction where this would be appreciated? I hate to see it go back to a local auction if it can get in front of a group of dedicated marlin collectors.
Thanks!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I recall this discussion, and Tom did indeed confirm the existence of 1894 prototypes being built. It seems somewhere between 2-5 were built, and Tom said he tried to buy one of them from the factory when he still worked there, but was told they weren't for sale.

"Yes, I received a PM from Mr. Spangler, and we talked about this rifle at length via the phone............

I'm well aware of these rifles. I recall there were 2 or 3, and there may have been as many as 5 or 6.....although I seem to think some were 44 Mags, too..........I don't recall any more than that, it was about 10 years ago, now.

When Marlin was being closed, I tried to purchase one of these rifles in 357 Mag, and was told they were not available to me, or any employees, so I forgot about them. I did purchase a number of other rifles from Marlin at that time.....I actually thought these were pillaged by the Remington Brass...........

I can tell you all, that this rifle is the Real Deal, and more so............It looks at first glance, like a baby 336...............

What is unfortunate at this time is, the new owner doesn't have any Provenance on this rifle to authenticate it.............The Auction house didn't know what they had, and that's surprising to me..........

I gave Mr. Spangler a couple of names that may prove to shed some light on this rifle for future use......Whether the new owner can actually contact these people, and whether they will be willing talk about the rifle, is another thing...........If they will, I hope they would help to establish the needed provenance.

$4100.00 may sound like a lot of money for this rifle, but consider there were only a few Proto-Types of this sort ever made!

If provenance and a paper trail can be established, I'd think this rifle would be worth much much more.........How much?....I don't know, but what I know of this rifle, I would have stayed in the auction, just as the new owner did..............Congratulations.........

I'm sure the new owner wants to shoot it, and I would too, but this is a very very special rifle, and should be treated as such...................

Tom"

I doubt your friend will see a return on his investment price without sending the gun off to a large auction again. Just no way to drive the price up where it should be without having an auction venue where people can push each other's bids up. And hopefully he's gotten the provenance that Tom mentioned too, so it will get it's maximum value if it does go to auction.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Michael J. Spangler
Beginner

I agree totally.

Does anyone know of a good auction or show that’s centered around Marlins?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Michael;

The Annual Meeting of the Marlin Firearms Collectors Association, Ltd. will be held in Kansas City, Missouri, the last full weekend in July. There might be someone there that could be interested.
Otherwise, either Rock Island Auction or Poulin's Auction would be my first choice to auction your rifle.