1881 serial numbers that match

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

PaMuleSkinner
Beginner

1881 serial numbers that match

Post by PaMuleSkinner »

I have a 1881 40-60 cal. serial # 4356 on all parts except the double trigger lower frame it is Numbered 4784. Would this be normal since the double trigger was an option or has someone changed this part? The gun has been in the our family for at least 50 Years. No one here is known to have did that. So it could have happen prior to my father in-law acquiring the rifle.
Thanks
P.M.S.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1881 serial numbers that match

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

PaMuleSkinner;

There are a couple of scenarios possible here. Checking the records, 4784 is a .45-70 and set triggers are not listed for that number (although the 2 guns ahead of the number did list set triggers). Checking your serial number, 4356, is blank. No information listed.
So, it may be that someone wanted a .40-60 with set triggers, and the lower plate was pulled from 4784 to put into 4356 and sent out that way. Then 4784 was sent out without set triggers (maybe the lower plate from your gun, 4356) installed.
Or, it may be possible that both guns were shipped to the same gun store, and a customer wanted a .40-60 caliber gun with set triggers and the seller switched the trigger plates to satisfy his customer.
At this point in time, since the records are incomplete, we have no way of knowing what exactly happened. These numbers are too far apart and not similar in any way to have been a mistake in assembly after the parts were finished at the factory. When I say similar numbers, sometimes a 3 can look like an 8 and vice-versa, or a 6 & 8 get mixed. A 1 might look like a 7 or vice-versa. But there just is not enough similarity in these numbers to make that mistake.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
PaMuleSkinner
Beginner

Post by PaMuleSkinner »

Sorry my bad I have written that ser# so many times I screw it up the number should have been 4653 the trigger number 4784 was correct. You may be right about a dealer swapping it out for a customer.
Thanks For your response I am new to this
P.M.S.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

PaMuleSkinner:

Correct serial numbers make a difference. Your serial number 4653 does show as shipped with double set triggers on the 19th of the month whereas 4784 was shipped 10 days later. So the trigger plates may well have been swapped at the factory. Someone may have ordered a .40-60 caliber gun with the set triggers and if none were available, the trigger plate may have been removed from 4784 while in the warehouse and swapped out with your guns trigger plate since 4784 record does not reflect the set triggers and was shipped at a later date.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Great detective work Rick. That's why use and watch this site.
Brian
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
oodmoff
Marksman

Post by oodmoff »

Well done sir....well done...
Thanks
Darin
PaMuleSkinner
Beginner

Post by PaMuleSkinner »

I wish to thank Regnier for his knowledge about my1881 Marlin ser. # 4653. I am in the process of replacing the stock with an aftermarket. The original with the ser#4653 is split off near where it connects to the gun. I plan to keep the original; an place it in a shadow box for display. Everything else seem operational and I hope to shoot it upon completion. I have no intention of getting rid of this fine weapon and plan to pass it down to my grandsons. With the information Regnier provided I am putting together a document to place in the display detailing the history of this gun. Thanks again for the awesome information you provided.
P.M.S.
PaMuleSkinner
Beginner

Post by PaMuleSkinner »

For those who may be interested: The rifle is complete and back to firing operation. I shot it this week end and all work as if it were new the action work flawlessly. What a impressive firearm to be 135 years old and all parts (i.e. firing pin, extractor, cartridge carrier, lever, springs and set trigger) work to perfection. One thing I might mention that some have questioned. The magazine cannot be loaded with the action closed, it has to be fully open for the cartridge to enter the magazine tube.
Again very thankful to the knowledge found at this forum.
Pa Mule Skinner
OldManLarsen
Beginner

Post by OldManLarsen »

I've never tried to load/reload my early 1881 40-60 , s/n 3711, with the action open, lever fully down. I never thought it possible!
PaMuleSkinner
Beginner

Post by PaMuleSkinner »

OldManLarsen:
I have heard that some will load with the action closed. However when I try to insert a cartridge with the actin closed I can get it down to the rim and it will not go any further because it is up against the carrier fingers. It is difficult to get back out. When the action is open with the carrier up the cartridge enters the magazine easily. Then working the action it goes down and picks up the cartridge. I am not sure why some do and some don't.
P.M.S.
OldManLarsen
Beginner

Post by OldManLarsen »

I found that a few things you can't baby with the 1881 and loading is one of them. When I try to gently slide a cartridge into the loading gate it doesn't go so I finally start a cartridge in and once halfway in I use my thumb and rapidly push the cartridge in. First there would be a momentary resistance and then the cartridge would go right in. Since then that is how I load the cartridges. I couldn't see Marlin making a firearm that would require the lever to be fully down to load especially if the shooter was on horseback. Prior to semi-forcing the cartridge in I removed the forearm which semi-allowed a view of what caused the restriction which turned out to be the spring loaded tube plug restricting movement. I'd like to know how most shooters load their cartridges.