Marlin mod 94 TakeDown

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

45shooter
Beginner

Marlin mod 94 TakeDown

Post by 45shooter »

I've been tinkering with my Wife's Grandfather's Mod 94 TakeDown in .25-20.
It's missing a few parts. Front sight blade, rear sight elevator and butt plate.
The serial # on this rifle is 330765 as far as I can tell. After a good cleaning, the barrel
looks like a smoothbore. Not shiny with only a little rifleing. He used this rifle to Deer hunt
but I'll almost bet someone else owned it first due to the condition.
I know this old rifle isn't worth much but the Wife has decided she want's to shoot it.
Anyone know when it was made ?
Also, is there a source for parts besides Numrich and Jack First ?
I may just have the barrel sleeved.
Thanks for any help.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin mod 94 TakeDown

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

45Shooter;

Your wife's Grandfather's Marlin Model '94 is a .25-20 caliber rifle, shipped in late 1905 with a 24 inch octagon barrel and takedown action.
Not a real powerful gun to hunt deer with.
The bore of the rifle may just be leaded up, so you might want to scrub the bore and use something to de-lead the bore before having it relined.
Parts can also be found on eBay from time to time. I have seen correct front sight and elevators there, but at times they can get pricey. Precision Gun Stocks of Kerrville, Texas does have a reproduction steel butt plate. Even if you found an original butt plate, it would not fit precisely as the butt plate was in place on the stock when it was finish sanded at the factory, and thereby fitted to that stock only. That is why Marlin serial numbered their stocks and butt plates so as to get the matching parts back together after finishing.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Larry Osborne has had repro elevators in the past. Might check with him to see if he still has them. He also sells new screws if any are buggered up.

marlingunscrews@gmail.com
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
45shooter
Beginner

Post by 45shooter »

Regnier, thanks for the information.
I'll match a cleaning jag with a brass screen to the bore and clean with a good
lead remover. Then follow up with steel wool. That should take care of any leading.
I could fit the wood to the butt plate but with the condition the rifle is in, I'm going
to leave it off.
I'll keep an eye out on Ebay for parts.
Again, Thanks.

Marlinman93,
I'll definitely check with Larry Osborne so thanks for the heads up.
Thank you.

I'll make a follow-up post when things are sorted out.
Again, thanks for the great information. :)
dwandrey
Beginner

Post by dwandrey »

I am going to jump in here since this is the first 94 discussion that may get me pointed in the right direction.

I got a model 94 my parents had stashed away since I can remember being 10 and finding it under the bed.
ha .

Anyway, serial # 372092 how do I decipher the serial number?
it is .25-20 and I cleaned up the rust and considering spending some time and money to get it refinished, and shoot-able.
- is it worth the cost'? I have seen model 94's selling for good cash recently.

I may send it out for bluing..
also, appears the firing pin is worn,
barrel was removed with a pliers apparently....
and need rear sight elevator.

Any thoughts on this?
I am willing to send images.

David
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Your 372092 number would be just after Marlin stopped recording serial numbers in 1906, so it wont be in the records, but should be 1907 or maybe 1908.
I rarely suggest anyone should have an old gun refinished, as it almost always makes the amount invested into the gun much higher than what the value is after refinishing. Another issue is whether the person doing the refinish is just a gunsmith who can blue parts, or one well versed in the proper way to refinish it. If it's not properly refinished, the gun could be worth even less than it's present state, and you'd be out good money for nothing.
I have acquired guns that were dirt cheap because of a poor restoration, and then went through the work to properly restore them. But I can do all of the prep work, and the stock work, so I only pay for the rust bluing and correct color case. It makes my restorations much cheaper than others who simply send a gun out to be restored.
A proper restoration (if it needs new wood stocks) will easily run $1,000-$2,000 depending on who does it. A poor restoration can be done under $500, but make the gun worth less than that when done. If it doesn't need new wood, the proper restoration might be 1/3rd less, but the stocks must be in very good shape to not need replacement.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!