Could anyone please help with identification/information on this Marlin?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

DJ1995
Beginner

Could anyone please help with identification/information on this Marlin?

Post by DJ1995 »

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum so I hope it is appropriate to post a question. My husband inherited the gun shown in the pictures and we are hoping someone can help us find out more about it. I've spent the better part of the day trying to search online and my search inevitably led me here. Here is what we do know; it's a Marlin lever-action marked with 9726 and .40cal. The series of dates on the barrel ends with "re-issue Nov 9, 1880" and the octagonal barrel measures 24". I can't seem to find out much more. It doesn't seem as if there were a lot of 24" barrels for this particular model from what I've read today. Could anyone confirm? Is there a way to find out more about this gun? I seemed to have hit a bit of a roadblock. I appreciate any information you could give me. My husband inherited some other firearms as well, but he really seems drawn to this one and would love to know more.
Thanks for any info you might be able to share!

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Could anyone please help with identification/information on this Marlin?

Post by marlinman93 »

Your gun is a model 1881 Marlin, and if the barrel length of 24" is as it left the factory, it is indeed an unusual length barrel. Less than 3,000 were listed in records with this length barrel. The caliber is .40-60 Marlin, which is very close to the .40-65 Win. and cases for .40-65 can be used to make up ammunition for the gun if he wants to shoot it. The serial number indicates it was likely made in 1885.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Road King
Expert

Re: Could anyone please help with identification/information on this Marlin?

Post by Road King »

It appears that the forestock may have been replaced on the rifle. Records should confirm barrel length.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."