What model is this serial number for?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Zelreth
Beginner

What model is this serial number for?

Post by Zelreth »

I thought I hadvthe correct barrel/reciever combo, but the barrel pin location does not line uo with the reciever pin location. The firearm will not function as is.

Serial number is 68179121.

Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: What model is this serial number for?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Zelreth;

The only thing we can tell you from the serial number is that the receiver was made in 1968. Marlin made bolt action and self-loading (semi-automatic) rifles during that time, so without knowing what type of action this is, there is no way of knowing what model you have. What markings are on the barrel you have?
More information is needed to try and narrow down the choices.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Zelreth
Beginner

Post by Zelreth »

The reciever was purchased separately from the barrel.The barrel is a model 60 from the New Haven plant. The reciever was listed as a model 60, of course from 1968. The barrel is set up for the one piece slide on site/magazine tube bracket.

These "should" fit together, but the barrel pin locations do not line up correctly. By that, if I put the pin location of the barrel to the reciever...to allow the pin to be inserted, it throws off headspace to wherevthe firearm is not functional.

I called Marlin first, all they could tell me is that it is a....1968. I knew that. What I am trying to see, what model this reciever actually is. It could be several....models 99, 989, 989M2, 99M1, 75...or one I may have missed.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
Thanks for any help
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Zelreth;

Well, now we need a photograph to determine which receiver you have. And, that may not tell everything we need to determine which one it actually is. Several receivers from that time frame look quite similar in appearance.
Instructions to post a photograph is in the very first post of the first section titled "NO LONGER GUEST QUESTIONS".
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.