Gun Broker Marlin

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Road King
Expert

Gun Broker Marlin

Post by Road King »

Just a heads up the Engraved Marlin Model
1893 that is presently on GB is listed as 20" Short Rifle. The records indicate it left the factory with 28" octagon barrel and full magazine. The seller refuses to acknowledge this information. In one of the photos you can clearly see the front sight in wrong location.
The seller does not indicate an inspection and return policy.

www.gunbroker.com/Item/773322832
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Gun Broker Marlin

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Brian;

I emailed the seller inquiring about the inspection and return requirements. He has no intention on accepting anyone else as to knowing anything about this gun. The factory records reflect exactly what you mention (cut barrel, front sight in the wrong position and the magazine tube also cut). He lists this gun as an antique, but the gun was shipped in 1899, thereby making this Marlin a firearm, not an antique.
He claims this is a "one of a kind" gun in the engraving, but at the October 5 & 6, 2010 Julia auction, item #1491 is Marlin with the same, standard 5-1 engraved factory pattern engraving.
All I can say, is "let the buyer beware", and that this gun is going to disappoint the buyer with no way to get reparation for the purchase.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

" This barrel is octagon and measures 20" with a short magazine tube which is also factory and a Special Order" An obvious lie. Had he simply not made that claim, he might be excused as not saying it was factory original. I seriously doubt anyone would own a gun like it and not have gotten a factory letter for it.
Sad that people wont admit the truth, and will take advantage of the uneducated buyers.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
drjjpdc
Beginner

Post by drjjpdc »

We really need to be proactive with a seller like this. No law against a whole bunch of us posting beware notices on any gun forum we can think of! :)
The more the better. And let him know about each one we do.

John
oodmoff
Marksman

Post by oodmoff »

I almost 100% positive, I got to see this gun at the CGCA show and the shortening of the barrel was apparent. It was in a rack behind a table about 2-3 rows directly north of Rick's Regnier's. table. While I was inspecting the gun the seller made no attempt to disclose that the gun had been shortened. If the gun didn't change hands, then the seller is a person who regularly conducts rather large gun auctions out of California and has sold several high end marlin rifles and knows better.
Thanks
Darin
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Amazing! It sold for $8625 to a bidder who'd been on it since around $2500. I sure hope he knows what he was doing!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gentlemen;

I do hope that the buyer has access to a lot of salt and pepper as he is going to have eat this one. I am disappointed with the Administrators at Gun Broker. I emailed them and informed them 4 days before the auction ended that this was a case of false advertising and gave them the reasons. The acknowledged receipt of my email, but nothing after that, and the auction ended without any notice that the item was not factory original as advertised. Gun Broker does not require an inspection period, so that makes it all the worst for a potential buyer.
Whenever I see an item of interest with nothing mentioned about an inspection period with return, I always email the seller and inquire about it. No inspection with return, no bidding unless there are about 100 photos showing the thing from stem to stern.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.