New member/new marlin

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rattlesnake94
Beginner

New member/new marlin

Post by rattlesnake94 »

Hi all,
I`m a new member, living in Australia... and have recently purchased my first Marlin,
I have been trying to get some info on it, and have visited other forums,got some answers, but a bloke can`t ask too many questions,
so I will post here and see if I can get some more info .
i`ve been told it`s a Baby Saddlering Carbine, fitted with what looks to be original ladder rear sights, v/short magazine tube, and a S/n. of 4449##
The rifle is chambered in 32-20, everything looks to be "Factory fitted with no evidence of modification that I can see.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: New member/new marlin

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rattlesnake94;

From your description in this post and the other post, it indeed sounds like you have a Model '94 Baby Carbine. These are rather scarce as the standard carbine is much more common.
In your other post, you mention a broken main spring, they can be purchased at Wisner's ( www.wisnersinc.com )
If you wish to post pictures, go to the section titled "NO LONGER GUEST QUESTIONS" and the very first post by Road King will explain how to post pictures.
With a serial number in the 444,000 range, your Baby Carbine would have been made in late 1913 or early 1914. \
Looking forward to hearing from you again.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Here are the photos of Rattlesnake94's Model 94 Carbine. It sure looks to me to be a Baby Carbine. Nice find.

Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
rattlesnake94
Beginner

Post by rattlesnake94 »

Thanks Road King.
I picked this carbine up a few weeks ago, my first marlin, and I had no idea what it was, I was after a lever gun to shoot cowboy action type events, and this was the first lever i looked at, and the price was too good to pass up!
Now it seems it isn`t a common model, I guess i`ll need to find another one to use.
There`s a few screws that need replacing, but overall it is in fairly reasonable condition for its age,
the previous owner had it in his safe for around 30-40 yrs he told me, and never fired it as it had a broken mainspring.
I have since made a new spring (flat style) and it feeds, shoots and ejects well.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Send Larry Osborn an email for his list of Marlin gun screws. Very high quality screws at decent prices.
email Larry at: marlingunscrews@gmail.com
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
rattlesnake94
Beginner

Post by rattlesnake94 »

Thanks marlinman93,
I have just sent him an email, I do have a lathe but they are too fiddly for my old eyes ,
Cheers