Parts for 1894 Musket

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

daneal
Beginner

Parts for 1894 Musket

Post by daneal »

A reply to my post on Marlin Owners forum suggested I contact Regnier on this forum.
Acquired a 1894 38WCF Musket, barrel not cut, but forearm cut above middle band. Mag shortened too, but no real problem there.
Also, cleaning rod can be reproduced easily. The big problem is that top band had sling swivel lug and rod guide boss ground off.
Need suggestions for fore arm (Upper fore arm from Winchester NRA Centinnial musket reshaped? Has to have magazine hole drilled already., 'cause I'm no wood worker!) and for the top band. Band is now very thin-- would need a top-flight precision welder to build it up, and would need good pics and dimensions to go by.

With only a hundred and a half or so muskets made, I figure the chances of stumbling on original pats is nil-- and, anyway, I'm nearing 90 and don't have much time to search.

The rifle, incidentally, is about 80% in finish, and has mirror bore. Guess they didn't get much use in Bureau County.
Under the buttplate, I found the name "H. Luther", in case anyone can make a connection there.

DANEAL
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Parts for 1894 Musket

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Daneal;

Most of the 1894 Muskets found today are stamped with the Bureau County marking on top of the receiver. They for the most part were shipped September 21, 1894.
The 1866 Winchester bayonet fits the 1894 Marlin Musket if you are looking for a proper fitting bayonet. These are socket or angular style bayonets that fit around the barrel and lock behind front sight.
From your description, the forearm must have been damaged and was cut off. Interesting that they did not cut the barrel, but a very good thing they did not cut it too. Any new wood you add to replace the missing section will have to be bleached to make it match the old, original factory wood then stained to match the existing wood. You can make the addition behind the middle barrel band to hide the additional new piece. I sent you an email for any additional information you may need.
There is a 1894 Marlin Musket at Collectors Firearms of Houston, Texas, but it has been cut down to a barrel length of 24 inches. I saw this Musket at the Denver show last year and measured it as a friend brought it to me as he was interested in purchasing it. At first glance, it looked short, so that is why I measured it. Needless to say, he passed on it at the outrageous price of $12.5k.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.