Early 1881 40 cal on barrel

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

choppero
Beginner

Early 1881 40 cal on barrel

Post by choppero »

I have an early 1881 on my bench for repair. I have been told the cal. is 40/65. The SN is 1659. My question is about the breach bolt. The extension at the front of the bolt is slotted with a cross pin hole. I see no part associated with this on a parts breakdown. Is there a missing roller?

Otherwise the gun is in great condition. Good bore and allthe parts fit well and are original. The custopmer would like to shoot it. It's grandpa's gun.
choppero
Beginner

Re: Early 1881 40 cal on barrel

Post by choppero »

I just answered my own question. It's missing the ejector. Are they cal specific?
choppero
Beginner

Post by choppero »

Does Numrich know what they are listing? second vareation 1881 ejector and screw
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Choppero;

Yes, there are two variations of the Model 1881 ejector. Page 151 of the Brophy book shows the two variations. The first was a single blade type ejector that was just short of the firing pin whereas the second variation is a "U" shape that goes up around the firing pin.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
choppero
Beginner

Post by choppero »

thank you.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

choppero wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 am Does Numrich know what they are listing? second vareation 1881 ejector and screw
Good luck with Numrich! They're usually right on about 50% of my orders.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Choppero;

At this point, do you need the ejector, or do you need an extractor? The ejector attaches to the bottom of the breech bolt and kicks the cartridge off of the breech bolt then the action is opened, whereas the extractor pulls the cartridge out of the chamber after the gun has been fired.
The fact that Numrich is listing ejector with screw sounds like the extractor, not the ejector. So, but stating they have a 2nd variation ejector, (extractor) what they may have is an extractor for a small frame Model 1881, not a large frame '81. The early Marlin catalogs do state when ordering replacement parts for the Model 1881, to state the caliber of the gun, so there may be a difference between a large frame and a small frame extractor.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
choppero
Beginner

Post by choppero »

I have ordered the ejector for the rifle. I was mistaken about the screw. I pivots on a pin. Also it is a large frame rifle, hence the headline 40 cal on barrel. I need to know about the ammo for this rifle. I see both win and Marlin listed for 40/60. what is the difference?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The difference in the loaded ammo is bullet diameter. .40-65 Win. and .40-60 Marlin have nearly identical cases, and will interchange. But accuracy with .40-65 Win ammo in a Marlin 1881 .40-60 will suffer. If you reload it's not a big deal, as once you shoot it up you can simply reload with the proper size bullet. Slug your bore to determine what size it likes best before ordering bullets. Most will be up in the .410-.412" range, where Win. ammo has much smaller bullets.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!