need some advice for 25-20

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Scotty
Beginner

need some advice for 25-20

Post by Scotty »

I thought I had worked up a good load for my marlin 1894 CL 25-20. This rifle was built in 1990 according to marlin. A couple of weeks ago, at the range after shooting a few different loads, all with 4227 and 85 gr meister hard cast bullets. The last load I shot was a 1 3/4 inch 5 shot group at a little over 50 yds. So like a dunny, I go home and load 40 rds of that load. Yesterday, back to the range, and couldn't do anything with it. flyers, and some looked like they were starting to key hole. However, i was using a target out of about 1/4 inch card board. Put a small bull on the target with florescent orange duct tape for aiming. The thing I can't figure out is where the bullet starts to enter the card board, SOME show the signs of starting to keyhole, but the exit hold is nice and round and looks normal. Can't figure that out unless it is due to the flat surface of the bullet. Anyway, if I can't get this squared away, maybe I will try jacket bullets. therefore the question. Do any of you guys shoot jacket bullets in your 25-20's or other calibers for that matter? Seems like 25 caliber bullets are hard for me to find. Thinking about the Sierra Varmenter 87, but not sure about loading the pointed bullet. Would appreciate your advice and or opinions. My rifle has a traditional barrel and I am not sure of the twist. If using the pointed bullets, I would chamber one and put no more than one in the magazine.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: need some advice for 25-20

Post by Brent »

an 85 gr .25 bullet is pretty long for what I imagine the twist might be in your lever gun. Singleshots in that caliber often run even heavier bullets, but they have fast twists and are allowed much longer overall lengths since they don't have to load through the magazine.

Also, I have issues the position of the powder in the case when using 4227. So, try tilting your rifle the same way each time to get the powder back on the primer or forward under the bullet - either one, but be consistent.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable can help, but I think your keyhole issue is probably real.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Did you start out by slugging the bore to determine what groove diameter your gun's barrel has? If the bullets aren't properly over bore size by .001"-.002" then it could be leading building up in the bore and causing these issues. It really sounds like leading to me, and I'd start over by making sure I got any lead out, and then slug the bore and measure the slug with a good micrometer, not dial calipers to see what size the groove is.
I use Kleenbore or Birchwood Casey lead remover cloth, and push it through the bore with a very tight patch. It will take a couple passes sometimes, and if you feel any roughness, then work the patches back and forth until you feel it slip past. Inspect the patch on exit, and don't pull it back once it exits. You will see lead slivers on the patch if it's tight enough, and lead has built up.
Once it's clean and you measure the bore, then you will know what size bullet your gun really needs, and accuracy will be much better.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Scotty
Beginner

Post by Scotty »

I don't think leading is the problem. After shooting, I always clean and inspect. Maybe clean too much. I read a thread by 35 Remington, about his bad luck with a marlin 1894 CL 25-20 a ducks unlimited model. he said he could do nothing with it. Well guess what, that is exactly what I have. The same model. His post did not exactly make my day. I purchased 100 rounds of remington factory 86 gr and shot 50 to get the cases. I have since been playing with different loads with the Meister 87 grain hard cast. This gun was given to me by an old army buddy who had it for 30 years and it was still in the box with the tags on it when he gave it to me, so I am not out much if I never get it to shoot. But, I hate to give up on it, and it is becoming personal. I still have about 400 Meisters left, plus 50 factory rounds, and at the end, if my problem isn't solved, I will take the scope and mounts off, flip the buckhorn back up and this rifle will occupy a slot in my gun cabinet. It sure is pretty there though, I must admit.

Thanks for the above two replies. I appreciate them.