32 Marlin Lever Action

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ptblucat1
Beginner

32 Marlin Lever Action

Post by ptblucat1 »

I have a 32 Marlin Lever Action which was given to me by father. Model 1936, Serial Number B-1168. I would like to know when it was made.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 32 Marlin Lever Action

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Ptblucat1;

I just went through all the posts from a long time collector that pasted away several years ago and was probably the most knowledgeable person about the Model 1936, 36 and 336.
According to him, all Marlins with the "B" prefix were manufactured in 1941. Which I agree with as Marlin started the letter prefix in 1940 with the letter "A" and continued up through the alphabet to "Z" ( I & O were not used ) plus a few of double letter prefix serial numbers.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
ptblucat1
Beginner

Post by ptblucat1 »

Thanks for the reply.
chewie62
Beginner

Post by chewie62 »

Morning folks, I see someone else is the recipient of a hand me down rifle. I, too, inherited a Marlin Lever action from my father in law. Dad gave it to me several years ago and it's been in one of my safes ever since. Took it out the other day to check it's condition and got to wondering about when it was made as I have not seen any of these on the auction circuit or in gun shops and most of my friends don't seem to be familiar with this model Marlin.

So here goes: Model 36-RC-32 SPEC. CAL.-A Serial # S6435686 and Marlin rifle with Tasco Silver Antler Scope 3x9x40 Illuminated w/2 MR44 Bats

I did recently find some info that puts date of manufacture some where between 1937 and 1948
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Chewie62;

That is an awfully long serial number for any Marlin made prior to 1999. Is this number located under the lever?
A Model 36 would never had an "S" serial number prefix. The "S" prefix used later, on the Model 336 was for guns made in 1959.
I can see a Model 336 having a left over Model 36 marked barrel in it, but it would be pretty late if this is a 1959 made gun. Or, the barrel was replaced at some time with a Model 36 barrel.
Does the receiver have a square breech bolt, or is it a round bolt, inside the receiver?
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
chewie62
Beginner

Post by chewie62 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look, take and post some photos to help.

Chewie62