Saying Thanks to 35 Remington

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Scotty
Beginner

Saying Thanks to 35 Remington

Post by Scotty »

Had almost given up on my 1894 CL 25-20 being a shooter. Then I read a post written by 35 Remington on Marlin Owners.com which is worth the read if you own a 25-20. Anyway, I mounted a scope on the rifle, and loaded some 85 gr Meister bullets and went to the range. I shot 86 gr Remington factory ammo first at 55 yds, and the group was around 6 inches for a five shot group. I shot a few of the meisters loaded with 9 gr of 4227 with about the same results plus it looked like the bullets were starting to key hole. Disappointed and disgusted, I went home and re-read his article, and loaded a few Meisters with 6 gr of 4227 and some with 6.5 grains of 4227 which is the load that he said in his post was his most accurate. Well, back at the range, I shot the 6 gr load first and the grouping was much better. However, when I shot the 6.5 load, it put 5 into a 1 3/4 inch group. I went home a much happier man. Thought I would share this with you folks. Not sure if I will keep the scope on the rifle or not. But at Ieast, I know that it will shoot given the right load.