1889 32-20 wont cycle ammo

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

EAST TN MARLIN
Beginner

1889 32-20 wont cycle ammo

Post by EAST TN MARLIN »

hello folks, I purchased a 1889 32-20 (serial # indicates "90 manufactured), I completely dismantled it for cleaning and after reassembly it will not load a round without shacking round in place or finger assist. I wonder if a internal part is missing or worn. When you work the finger lever forward, the round is just tossed into the receiver just laying there and when you work the finger lever forward, the rear of the round is lifted and wedged under the firing pin......
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1889 32-20 wont cycle ammo

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

East TN Marlin;

From your description, it sounds like either the cartridge lifter is not working or is missing. The lifter may not be working if the carrier is missing the rocker or the spring for the rocker is broken. If the entire lifter is missing, then that is another problem all together.
Did it work before you disassembled it? If it did, then something is not in the correct position when you put it back together.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
EAST TN MARLIN
Beginner

Post by EAST TN MARLIN »

Thank You Regnier, I went to cleaning and disassemble just after purchase thinking I would find a schematic on line if needed. I ordered new parts from NUMRICH and am fine with the reassemble. I just can't figure what I am missing or where to get the description on this "lifter". Thanks again
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

East TN Marlin;

The lifter is also called the carrier. Numrich has the carrier and carrier rocker listed. When you click on the "View product" icon, the parts diagram will show up and you can see it.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.