Magazine tube question

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ppatmull1
Beginner

Magazine tube question

Post by ppatmull1 »

I have a model 93 and i was loading bullets in it to make sure it will load and eject. while loading it i can only get 6 in and the 7th will only go 1/2 way, I was told this model is supposed to hold 10. i want to take the tube apart and make sure there isnt a broke spring or something jammed in it. My question is on the top end of it there is a cap held on with 1 screw, is there a trick to getting it off? when i removed the screw it doesn't move.
thanks Pat
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Magazine tube question

Post by Brent »

There is a trick. Is this a gun that might have been a competition rifle? For NRA CLA silhouette for instance? Putting weight in the magazine ahead of the ammunition can make the gun hold better when shooting offhand. This might explain your issues - exactly like putting a plug in a pump-gun magazine to make it legal for waterfowl. If you have the gun empty of ammo and turn it from muzzle up to muzzle down and back again, do you hear anything sliding around in there?

If I recall correctly (a somewhat large IF), that plug comes forward out of the tube, and it can't do that unless it is off of a stud that the screw connected to and that is dovetailed to the bottom of the barrel. Doing that requires removing the forearm so that you don't kink the tube at the end of the forearm where it passes through the nose cap. the forearm will not come away from the tube until you have removed everything from the rifle. This will all make sense as you dig in, so start with the screw at the end of the tube and the forearm cap which screws into a dovetailed anchor. It is pretty simple, but apparently all but impossible for me to explain.
ppatmull1
Beginner

Post by ppatmull1 »

thank you for the reply, makes perfect sense how you explained it. I have just aquired this rifle from an estate sale and it looks like it has been thrown in an attic for years. I had the forearm slid forward already while cleaning and noticed when i was going to remove the clamp at the top of the barrel that the screw is broke at the head only 1/2 showing, so now that i know it has to come off to open the tube my new project will be getting that screw out without damaging anything else. was going to attach a picture but i dont think im allowed to yet
Pat
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Pat, your pictures will have to be not more than 1000 pixels in any one direction. So, you may have to reduce them somewhat.