Receiver Finish

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

miker557
Beginner

Receiver Finish

Post by miker557 »

Okay, race fans, here's one for ya .... I recently acquired an 1894 Takedown rifle in 38-40. The auction stated it has a "non-professional re-blue", so I knew what I was getting - or so I thought. While taking the gun down to clean it, I noted that the front of the receiver, and indeed the entire lower tang, are case-hardened! The sides and top of the receiver have either been cold-blued or had a layer of lacquer applied. So, here's my question ...

If I used Birchwood Casey's Blue & Rust Remover on the receiver, will it attack the case hardening underneath? Or will I have a good chance of simply removing the cold-blue (or lacquer) that has been applied? Thanks for your input.

Miker
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Receiver Finish

Post by Brent »

It will attach the case colors but not the hardening.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Don't know of any way to remove bluing that wont affect the case colors. As Brent mentioned it will still be hard, but if you're wanting to save the case colors it wont be possible. If the gun merits it, I'd use a rust remover like CLR, and then carefully polish out the metal and have it re-case colored.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Rebluing over case coloring, even it was removed prior to the rusting may end up uneven, or so I'm told.

the solution may be to case color the other parts of the receiver. Case colors are my favorite finish.
Mikebiker
Beginner

Post by Mikebiker »

Any product that chemically removes blue / rust is a mild acid and will leave you with bare metal. It will not remove lacquer.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Hot bluing over a case hardened finish will create a ugly purple color, unless the finish is also annealed first. Hardened surfaces wont take hot bluing well, but they can be rust blued. If an early Marlin is case hardened, it's proper to have it re-case hardened by someone who knows how to do it properly, and properly anneals it first to avoid cracking.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!