marlin 1889

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

icharlieo
Beginner

marlin 1889

Post by icharlieo »

my question is Brophy mentions a total production of 55000. I think he was wrong...serial numbers started in 1881 and was used on all models...my rifle was made in 1892 s# 64951...that includes 1881, 1888, 1889, 1893, 1895 and ballard rifles. bill west in his marlin book. stated a production figure of 11000 which is a lot more realistic. by 1895 when the 1889 demised serial numbers had reached 123000.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin 1889

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

icharlieo;

The records do not include Ballard rifles. There are a very few, (31 to be exact) that are listed in the records. But otherwise, there are no records for the Ballard rifles.
Bill Brophy did an actual count (his secretary did it for him) of the records and the number of 55,119 will be quite accurate. Brophy broke the numbers of the Model 1889 down by caliber, barrel shape, length, number of pistol grip stocks, magazine tube length other than standard and number of muskets. Bill West, on the other hand did not have access to the records, and many things in his book are total fabrication and in complete error. A lot of information has come to light after West printed his books, and in fact, there is new information that has come to light even after Brophy's book came out that makes some things in his book incorrect.
If your Model 1889 was made in 1892, then the numbers in the serial numbers would not include the Models 1893 and 1895 as they were not in production yet. Also, when the Model 1894 came out in 1894, and it pretty much replaced the Model 1889 on the production line, so fewer Model 1889's were made after 1894.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Winston Wolf
Beginner

Post by Winston Wolf »

I have a Marlin stamped W44. 24 inch octagon barrel. On one site i found the that the SN was supposedly manufactured in 1885 (#10965).

it is a standard production rifle (no pistol grip, no stock etching, no gold plating, etc. it has the little twist lever safety at the end of the lever. no breakdown capability

I have thought it was an 1889 but the manufacture date of 1885 confused me. Photos i see make me continue to think it is an 1889 but i wonder if it is a 1881.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Winston Wolf;

See you other post for information regarding your rifle.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Winston Wolf
Beginner

Post by Winston Wolf »

i actually sent photos and closeups shots of the barrel stamps and serial number. I sent this all to the Remington history and record group. They now own Marlin.

They sent a letter saying this is a Model 1894 made in early 1894.

NONE of the other research gave me that precise and answer. I trust the remington letter because they said if they did not have the records or it was not definitive, they would say so.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd hold very little value in information given to me by the Remington Arms Co. these days. And Bill Brophy's book was well written, and very accurate in most cases. Any errors he made are pretty small, and not in the numbers made category.
I still think your serial number as posted here is incorrect, and hope you double check it and post the complete number.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!