new member looking for DOB.

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

5speed
Beginner

new member looking for DOB.

Post by 5speed »

I recently acquired a model 1884 in 44W which I'm assuming is 44-40?
It has Marble buck horn sights on it along with the folding peep sight on the stock.
The serial # is 40XXX.
The online dating site I used put the manufacturers date at 1902 but it's my understanding that Marlin used the same serial #'s for different models and that date may not be accurate.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: new member looking for DOB.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

5Speed;

You have a Marlin Model 1889, the first Marlin to utilize the side ejection system. With a serial number in the 40,000 serial number range, it should have been shipped from the factory in 1890. Marlin started with serial number 1 in 1881, and serialized all models consecutively up to 1916.
The 44W is the .44-40 caliber cartridge. Of the nearly 55,000 Model 1889's listed in the old factory records, only 20,984 were in the .44-40 caliber.
The Marbles folding rear sight will not be the original sight. The Marbles Company did not start into business until 1898 and their first product was not sights.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
5speed
Beginner

Post by 5speed »

Thank you for the info Regnier.
The buck horn sight on the barrel is Marble which I understand didn't come on all 1889's?
A question about the folding sight..I couldn't feel any discernible clicks when adjusting it.
Shoud I be able to?
Another question...lol
Will it be safe to use winchester 44-40 cowboy action ammo in her?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Your Marble tang sight has no clicks. It's simply an adjustment screw, so you need to mentally note the number of turns you made. The Marbles barrel sights were never offered by Marlin from the factory, but are often found on Marlins as an aftermarket purchase.
Not familiar with the Winchester Cowboy ammo, but most cowboy shooters use mild loads. If it's a cast bullet, and not jacketed it's probably fine in the 1889.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
5speed
Beginner

Post by 5speed »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 am Your Marble tang sight has no clicks. It's simply an adjustment screw, so you need to mentally note the number of turns you made. The Marbles barrel sights were never offered by Marlin from the factory, but are often found on Marlins as an aftermarket purchase.
Not familiar with the Winchester Cowboy ammo, but most cowboy shooters use mild loads. If it's a cast bullet, and not jacketed it's probably fine in the 1889.
Tks..the winchester stuff is lead bullets..but at $61 a box up here..she may not make it to the range.