Need opinions on a bore sight

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Scotty
Beginner

Need opinions on a bore sight

Post by Scotty »

I decided to put a scope on my 1894 CL 25-20. I was happy that I could do this without removing the rear sight. By folding down the buck horn, the scope clears by at least 1/4 of an inch. So the rifle can be returned to it's original appearance in a matter of minutes. My 75 year old eyes appreciate the help. My question is: I have never used a bore sight (always put the rifle in my gun vise, take the bolt out look thru the barrel at a target 50 yds out, adjust the cross hairs on the same target, and almost always was with in 6 inches of center. With the lever, I would like to use a bore sight, so have any of you used them on your levers,and if so, will you recommend a couple to me along with any advice you would like to share?

Thanks in advance Scotty
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Need opinions on a bore sight

Post by Brent »

Why not do the same with the Marlin as you do with the bolt rifles? One of the many superior features of a Marlin is that the bolt is so easily removed. Just pull the screw that holds the lever and extract the lever and then the bolt is pulled out from the breech. watch for the ejector so that it doesn't fall to the ground. Super simple. You can go to youtube and find a half dozen or more videos showing this.

Brent
Scotty
Beginner

Post by Scotty »

Thanks. I will probably end up doing that. It is the recommended way to clean the rifle also. Just thought I might try a bore sight. I appreciate the kick in the butt.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Yes, that is the best (really ONLY) way to clean a lever rifle. Another wonderful feature of a Marlin. I do it now without even thinking about it. Very easy, but it does require a quality screwdriver.