Newbie here

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Wornknobby3
Beginner

Newbie here

Post by Wornknobby3 »

Hello everyone, I'm fresh to the site but not to collecting and using Marlins. So I can not seem to find any information on a model 94 44-40 carbine 20" round barrel that I got at auction. I have looked into the encyclopedia and found that in 1970 they did the 100th anniversary commemorative which uses the medallion inlayed into the stock which this gun does have. Other than that I can't find a serial number anywhere. Top of reciver is tapped for sights which does not allow for the Marlin Safety to be stamped, and thus I have the Marlin model 94 on the tang in two lines. I am trying to track a rough date of manufacture. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures, bare with me.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Newbie here

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wornknobby3;

The original Marlin Model 1894/'94, made from 1894 to about 1935 did not have the medallion in the stock. And, the Model 1894 made in 1970 was made in .44 Magnum caliber, not .44-40.
I do not believe (could be wrong) but the Model 1894 made in 1970 did not have Marlin Model '94 stamped on the upper tang either. So, is this an old Marlin Model '94 carbine that someone has added the 100th Anniversary medallion to the stock?
If as you say in another post, it has a serial number (#40) under the lever, that should make it an old Model '94, made some time after 1921.
For instructions on posting pictures, go the section labeled "No Longer Guest Questions" and read the first post.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Wornknobby3
Beginner

Post by Wornknobby3 »

Ok will do on the pictures thank you. Yes I looked into the encyclopedia some more and saw that the model 94 was discontinued around 1923. It claims the later models had model 94 as opposed to model 1894. This guns was listed as a C&R as in curios and relics. oll get pictures up in a few minutes.
Wornknobby3
Beginner

Post by Wornknobby3 »

Doesn't seem to be working. Photobucket only works for about a few seconds and direct brings me to adds I'll see if there is another means to get an img link. The medallions I speak of are the Marlin bulls eye mark, but they are diamonds instead of round and there is one on each side of the buttstock and forearm as well. I'm working on pictures.