What do I have??

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jwxfld
Beginner

What do I have??

Post by jwxfld »

I need information on a Level action Octagon barrel, serial Number 48689. Could anyone tell me anything about this rifle ?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: What do I have??

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jwxfld;

According to the old factory records, you have a Marlin Model 1889 shipped in mid-1891. It is a .32-20 caliber gun with a 28 inch octagon barrel.
Of the nearly 55,000 Model 1889's listed in the records, 15,440 were in the .32-20 caliber. Only 2,268 were listed with a 2 inch barrel. There should be a stamp on top of the barrel, just in front of the receiver showing the caliber, 32W. The last patent date on the barrel will be April 2, 1889.
The Model 1889 was Marlin's first side ejection rifle.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
jwxfld
Beginner

Post by jwxfld »

Gunrunner

Thanks for the information on my rifle. This helps me a lot.
You are very knowledgeable.
Thanks again
Jwxfld
xtreme95cummins
Beginner

Post by xtreme95cummins »

Hello, Im not trying to hijack a thread but I have a question about What I have..
I know its a Marlin Lever action 30-30. I do not know the model. This gun was beat when I got it. I want to restore it but I cant read the engraving on the barrel. the serial number is r6650. Can anyone tell me what model it is and when it was made?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Xtreme95cummins;

From your description of a "R" prefix serial number in the .30-30 caliber, it would indicate you have a Marlin Model 336. Now which version you have is another question. The "R" prefix indicates your rifle was made in 1958, and there were several versions of the Model 336 made that year.
There is the 336-A which is a rifle with a pistol grip stock, 24 inch barrel and 2/3's magazine. The 336-RC, which is the Regular Carbine version with a pistol grip stock, 20 inch barrel and full magazine. The 336-SC or Sporting Carbine which had a pistol grip stock, 20 inch barrel and 2/3's magazine. The Model 336-T or Texan which is a regular carbine with straight grip stock, 20 inch barrel and full magazine.
There were also deluxe versions of the 336-A or ADL and the 336-Sporting Carbine or SD. These two had checkered wood and factory sling swivels.

xtreme95cummins
Beginner

Post by xtreme95cummins »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:31 pm Xtreme95cummins;

From your description of a "R" prefix serial number in the .30-30 caliber, it would indicate you have a Marlin Model 336. Now which version you have is another question. The "R" prefix indicates your rifle was made in 1958, and there were several versions of the Model 336 made that year.
There is the 336-A which is a rifle with a pistol grip stock, 24 inch barrel and 2/3's magazine. The 336-RC, which is the Regular Carbine version with a pistol grip stock, 20 inch barrel and full magazine. The 336-SC or Sporting Carbine which had a pistol grip stock, 20 inch barrel and 2/3's magazine. The Model 336-T or Texan which is a regular carbine with straight grip stock, 20 inch barrel and full magazine.
There were also deluxe versions of the 336-A or ADL and the 336-Sporting Carbine or SD. These two had checkered wood and factory sling swivels.
Thank you for the info.. After taking all the paint off the barrel, (its been painted and had homemade stock on it) I found that it is a Marlin 336 rc.. Im happy to know the production year tho so thank you
Winston Wolf
Beginner

Post by Winston Wolf »

i have an octagon barrel (24") lever action 44W with serial number 10965. I believe that was an 1885 manufacture date. that is inconsistent with the side ejection port. I have thought this was an 1889 because of that.

i understand they may have re-used SN's from time to time. how do i confirm what i have. (without writing to Marlin)?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Winston Wolf;

That serial number is among Marlin Model 1881's, but that particular record for that number is blank, no information listed. The Model 1881 was not made in the 44W caliber. The Model 1888 and 1889 was, but again, that serial number is too early for either model.
You state it is a side ejection action, which should make it a Model 1889 if it has a lever catch as you state in another post.
Are you sure about that serial number? You may wish to remove the butt stock and look at the serial number on the side of the upper tang, or remove the butt plate as it will be numbered to the gun. A Model 1889 could be in the 100,000 serial number range, so maybe you are not seeing a number on the bottom of the receiver, or it was mis-stamped and the real number will be found elsewhere.