.44-40

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Brent
Sharpshooter

.44-40

Post by Brent »

I was out for a long run this morning on a trail on public land where deer hunting happens. It was also first day of "shotgun season". Saw some guys with kids that had a couple of deer down. Saw a bunch more that were deerless. But it was a beautiful morning about 25-30 degrees and sunny. And then I felt an itch. Just a small itch mind you but an itch.

In Iowa, this year for the first (sort of) time, pistol cartridge rifles are legal deer rifles. They must have straight walled cases and be less than 1.8" long. I think the .44-40 meets that requirement. I don't have a .44-40. I have an 1894 in .38-40 (this very rifle https://www.gunauction.com/buy/12433066 ... c-and-r-ok). But, it has a shoulder and neck and is, therefore, not legal. However, I believe the .44-40 is straight (never actually handled one in person).

So, huh? It would be fun to hunt deer with a .44-40. But, OUCH! they are expensive. Like this one https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14493770
And even the "cheap" ones are 2-3 times more than I paid for my .38-40. Is this the premium one has to pay for .44-40s?

Are 1889s any cheaper than 1894s (the above rifle excepted).
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: .44-40

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Brent;

I think that seller has visions of grandeur if he thinks he will get that price.
Unless you are set on having an antique firearm, there are new manufactured rifles available in .44-40 caliber. GOOGLE .44-40 caliber rifles for sale and you will see what I mean. There are also some antiques for sale, too. Lots of 1873 Winnies out there.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: .44-40

Post by Brent »

Oh, I have no interest in newer rifles at all. Whether they are the quality of the old rifles or not, I just don't care for them.

I'm just surprised at the prices of these rifles. I thought they would be quite a bit cheaper. And, true, there are a lot of 73s out there but ''73s are movie stars and overrated (and overpriced).

Anyway, I was just thinking out loud.