Chamber Dimensions, Marlin 1889 .44-40

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Prairie Buck
Beginner

Chamber Dimensions, Marlin 1889 .44-40

Post by Prairie Buck »

Marlin 1889, roll stamp MARLIN FIRE-ARMS CO.,NEW-HAVEN, CT.U.S.A., barrel marked 44W, s/n 763xx, 24 in round barrel, full length mag tube, crescent butt plate.

I also have a Marlin 1894, roll stamp MARLIN FIRE-ARMS CO.,NEW-HAVEN, CT.U.S.A., barrel marked 44W, s/n 1217xx, 24 in round barrel, full length mag tube, original butt plate unknown. This one did not have it's original furniture on it when I got it.

PROBLEM: Rounds that chamber in the 94, will not chamber in the 89. The lever is still 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch from closed. If they do chamber, the bullets on my reloads are pushed back into the case. These rounds are my reloads with a 200 gr round nose flat point bullet. I have not tried to chamber vintage factory rounds that I do have at hand.

Visual inspection of the chambers detects no differences. I have not taken the time to cast the chambers on these two, but will do when hunting in over and winter has settled in.

There are some possibly significant dimension differences given between Brophy and Cartridges of the World, and other sources. even after on takes into account that one is chamber dimensions and one is cartridge dimensions. The biggest differences seem to be in the measurement from the front face of the flange to the beginning of the tapper. Chamber dimensions given in Brophy are nearly 0.100" shorter.

Questions: Does anyone have comments on this?
Has anyone encountered this before?