Marlin 1893 and 93 model square bolt mysteries.

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Marlin1936
Beginner

Marlin 1893 and 93 model square bolt mysteries.

Post by Marlin1936 »

Hello,
New member to the forum. I have some experience with Marlins, but have not run into this before. I have a new to me Marlin 93 Model in 30-30 cal. Serial is four digits and starts with 85XX, no letters or anything. I was disassembling and getting a look at the rifle when I noticed the bolt was not as expected. This bolt has one really long tapered ramp for cocking the hammer, vice the others I have seen with the 2 bumps on the bottom of the bolt.

So, I was not expecting this, it seems to function OK. I would like to learn more about this bolt and what other models it might be found on and does anyone know why? I found nothing online or in my usual go to ref. Brophys Marlin book.

Here is the bolt and another 93 bolt for comparison:
Marlin1936
Beginner

Re: Marlin 1893 and 93 model square bolt mysteries.

Post by Marlin1936 »

Well, some good news, one my friends on another forum just posted that he had seen this type of the older square bolt as well. He took a look at his inventory and found 2 of them, 1was in his parts bin and not sure where it came from and 1 was in a marlin 93. So, we have at least 3 known bolts like this. Makes me feel better knowing this was not some sort of homemade modification.

Still have a lot of unanswered questions about this type of bolt.