Marlin 1881 45 gov

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tyler4656
Beginner

Marlin 1881 45 gov

Post by tyler4656 »

I recently acquired a marlin model 1881 chambered in 4570. It has a four digit serial number starting with 41xx. It has a 28 inch octagon barrel wood and metal are all in very good condition this Rifle has a fantastic four and could be taken to the field and hunted with immediately. It appears that the receiver once was Color Case you can only see like traces. is there a place to get factory letters on these as we do on Colt and Winchester? Thanks
Marlin1936
Beginner

Re: Marlin 1881 45 gov

Post by Marlin1936 »

Yes, you can get letters for Marlin's and Whinies from the museum in Cody, Wy.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/fir ... s-records/
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If you're looking for letters for Marlin rifles that tell everything, then you'll be disappointed. Marlin letters just don't cover a lot about their guns, so it wont mention if your 1881 was case colored receiver or std. blued. What it might tell is the caliber, barrel length, barrel shape (octagon, round, half octagon) and whether the stock is straight grip, or pistol grip. And the date it shipped from the factory. But sometimes the letter wont tell even this much, and occasionally a gun shows nothing but the serial number, and no other info.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Actually, in the area of the Model 1881 records, there are some notations of CH for case hardened. Off hand I do not remember exactly where in the records I noted them, but it is there. The records can be frustrating for sure. Something that should have been noted is not, and then, later in the records, you will find some great information recorded.
There is a deluxe Model 1897 coming up on an auction with a matted barrel. It is mentioned in the records along with the special dimensioned pistol grip stock.
Sometimes, you just have to take a chance and hope the information is there.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I know that Model 1881 serial number 4675 has the notation of CH in the records.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."