Marlin 410 Lever Action Questions

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Ryan
Beginner

Marlin 410 Lever Action Questions

Post by Ryan »

I'm trying to find out more information on an old Marlin 410 Lever Action Shotgun. This gun was given to me by my father. I was told my grandfather always used the gun to hunt small game. I know the gun still works great. I have done a lot of research online but I cannot find any that look like the one I have. It looks different from the 410 Lever Action shotguns made between 1929-1932. I'm not sure if the gun I have is an earlier or later model. The only details I can provide is that the barrel is 22" and it says Marlin 410. There are no other markings on the gun. I'm really just interested in knowing more about the gun. Any info anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I cannot load the pictures? I do not have them on the web.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 410 Lever Action Questions

Post by marlinman93 »

Open up a free Imgur account and load them there. Then you can add a link here to view them. Not sure what's different about your Model 410, so can't help without a picture.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Ryan
Beginner

Post by Ryan »

Here are links to the 410 Lever Action Images. Any help identifying this gun would be great.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Ryan;

You have a "Frankenstein" Model 410. Sometime during it's life, it has been greatly modified from the original state.
You will need to disassemble the gun to see some of the problems, but the lower tang has been replaced with a trigger strap from a straight grip gun. You can look at the serial number of the upper tang on the receiver and then compare it to the serial number on the trigger strap or lower tang. They will not match. The butt stock may be from the gun that donated the trigger strap. The forearm is a replacement, again probably from the gun that donated the butt stock. The lever appears to be from a much later Model '93 as it is rounded off at the rear, top area.
Cannot tell from the photo, but the barrel may have been shortened as most Model 410's had a 26 inch barrel. There were a few made with 22 inch barrels, but they are rare. If this is an original 22 inch barrel gun, then it is very unfortunate what has happened to it.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is. A lot of good guns have had bad things done to them.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't see a bead on the top of the barrel, so guessing it was cut down from a 26".
Ryan
Beginner

Post by Ryan »

Thanks for the feedback on the gun. I took the gun apart and was able to find the number 6 and 60 92 on the upper tang. The lower tang has no numbering on it. I don't see any signs of the numbering being removed. Everything seems to be very smooth and naturally worn. The barrel is just missing the bead. It is drilled and looks to be threaded. I don't think the barrel was cut down. I measured the barrel and it is 1/2" at the end. It's still a really cool little gun. I wish Marlin made a little 410 this size. My boys are almost old enough to hunt and a small lightweight 410 like this would be perfect. I really appreciate the feedback on this post.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Ryan;

The 6092 is the serial number of the receiver. If the lower tang is from the gun that the lever is from, the serial number would have been under the lever and not up by the forearm.
It appears your "Model 410" was originally a 22 inch barrel gun. Too bad. The shorter barreled Model 410's are very rare.
Enjoy the gun and take your boys out shooting. Just remember, the Model 410 only uses 2 1/2 inch long shells.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Ryan wrote: I wish Marlin made a little 410 this size.
They did! But with a pistol grip lower tang.
MajorFred
Beginner

Post by MajorFred »

I am trying to find out more info on my 1893 Marlin 410 with serial number 5145. Would like to know when it was manufactured and whether it has a modified or or Improved cylinder fixed chock.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

They were all built between 1929-1932. No records exist to narrow down the specific year. They were chambered to accept 2" or 2.5" .410 shells, and as far as I know they were all modified choke.
MajorFred
Beginner

Post by MajorFred »

Thanks for the info on when it was manufactured and the choke. The weapon shoots, but it does not eject and cycle the next round correctly. I believe I would need the following parts:the EjectorW/spring, Magazine Tube follower, magazine tube plug and magazine spring. But I am not a qualified Gun Smith and my assessment is just a best guess.I would like to know what is the best way to correct the problem. I can’t find anyone in my local area who would be willing to work on it.
Last edited by MajorFred on Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Anyone who is qualified to work on an 1893, '93, 1936, 36, or 336 Marlin should be able to figure out why it doesn't work. But my experience has not shown me this is a magtube follower, or anything to do with the magazine tube. Likely it's an issue with the carrier, and specifically the rocker that sits in the middle of the carrier. The rocker has a small leaf spring that sits under it, and if the spring breaks the carrier will not go up and down correctly, which results in the shells not feeding or cycling properly.
The ejector could be an issue with ejection, but so could the extractor, if the case isn't held and withdrawn from the chamber cleanly. The ejector and extractor are very easy to examine to see if either is broken or worn. In fact, the Model 410, and all the Marlins built with this same design receiver are one of the easiest firearms to disassemble and work on. Unlike a Winchester 1894, the Marlin has half as many parts to do the same thing, and takes but a couple minutes to fully strip to it's bare parts.