Marlin 35 Remmington

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rfswingate
Beginner

Marlin 35 Remmington

Post by rfswingate »

I have a 336 35 rem made in 1980 It appears to be stainless. The serial number is 20163099
It appears to be stainless or chrome. No one can tell me which. The screw behind and below the ejection port is black, as is the hinged loading plate
I would just like to know how this gun left the factory, and about what it is worth. I realize someone may have built it to suit themselves. IT IS NOT FOR SALE I have had 5 35 rems and hunt with them. I just can't get the straight story on this one. I will be glad to provide pictures. Any help and information is much appreciated. I have tried taking it to gun shows but I get a different "expert" opinion every time.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 35 Remmington

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rfswingate;

Marlin was not making guns of stainless steel in 1980, which is when your rifle was manufactured by the serial number.
Therefore, your gun has some sort of a plated surface. It could be that the blue was stripped from the metal, polished and a clear anodizing applied giving the appearance of chrome plating. But, most likely it is chrome as it is the easiest to do.
Value is rather subjective at this point. Someone may like the plated gun more and willing to pay more than someone else that does not like the plating. So who is to say what it is worth. It is worth what it is worth to you as it is yours right now, and as you stated, it is not for sale, so the point is mute.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
rfswingate
Beginner

Re: Marlin 35 Remmington

Post by rfswingate »

I really appreciate the answer. Although I love Marlins, I do not know a tremendous amount about them. I have always suspected that this was a modified gun. One more question, are all Marlin stainless steel guns stamped SS somewhere? I have heard this and it got me to thinking about this particular gun. Again, thank you for the reply