Marlin 1893 Breakdown Questions

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Eddie2002
Beginner

Marlin 1893 Breakdown Questions

Post by Eddie2002 »

I just got an older Marlin 1893 breakdown and have a few questions about it. The background for the rifle is that it came from my father's collection and is in a case made in Rochester NY by Henry Likly and Co.. From what I can tell it hasn't been shot much if at all and is in really good or excellent shape. The case is a little beat up but it did it's job of protecting the rifle over all the years. The rifle is marked "model 1893" and has the "Special Smokeless Steel" marking on the half round, half octagon barrel and is in 30-30 caliber. The serial number is 156975 and on the back edge of the front portion of the rifle where it joins together is the marking "Patent date May 1 1894".
I'm wondering about the manufacturing date of the rifle and the meaning of May 1 1894 patent date.
This is my first post and it appears that I can't add pictures yet which is a shame because I would like to show the old girl off.
Thanks for the help
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1893 Breakdown Questions

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Eddie2002;

In your description, you failed to mention that your father's rifle has a pistol grip stock, too. That is another nice feature for a fine, deluxe Model 1893 Marlin rifle that was shipped from the factory in New Haven, Ct. in late 1897.
The May 1, 1894 patent date is for the L. L. Hepburn patented takedown system. The added cost of the takedown action was $3.50 over the standard cost of a non-takedown rifle.
The 26 inch half octagon barrel would have been the standard barrel length for the Model 1893, and the cost would have been the same as a full octagon barrel rifle.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Eddie2002
Beginner

Post by Eddie2002 »

Great, thanks for the information, I forgot to mention the pistol grip stock as well as the checkering on the stock and for-stock. I've been a collector and reloader for years but this is my first lever action. I've found low recoil reloading data for 30-30 and plan to be shooting a 125 grain bullet at about 2,000 fps which is all that is needed for a fun day at the range.
Would like to know how to post pictures.
Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Eddie2002;

To see how to post pictures, go to the section "No Longer Guest Questions" and scroll down to a post titled "Old Marlin in New Zealand" then look for a post by Road King. He gives excellent instructions on how to post photos.
Good luck......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

With regard to posting photos you may want to use Imgur as Photobucket is being hard to use lately. If you are still having problems I would be glad to post photos for you. Seen clear photos to bwatson0568@rogers.com
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."