old 30-30

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

donkaiser98
Beginner

old 30-30

Post by donkaiser98 »

I have my dads old Marlin 30-30. Can any body give me some info on this rifle?
The serial #is 243871 the gun has an octagon barrel,special smokeless steel is stamped on the barrel, marlin safety is stamped
on top of the action. any info would be helpful.

Thanks Don
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: old 30-30

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Don;

You have a Marlin Model 1893. It was shipped from the factory with a 26 inch octagon barrel in early 1902. It was a .30-30 caliber.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
DeeC
Beginner

Re: old 30-30

Post by DeeC »

My old 30-30 story - my wife's Aunt Claire used to go hunting once a year in eastern Washington with her first husband who died after a long illness in 1965. When Claire died 20 years ago we brought home her gun cabinet and guns where they have been safely tucked away ever since. One of them was a brand new, somewhat plain and simple looking lever action 30 30 in a padded carry case. I shot it a few times early on in my possession but did no realize the significance of the gun. Recently my friend brought out his 30 30 to show so we compared rifles. Turns out Aunt Claire's gun is a 336 RC - 1952 with waffle top, no scope or mount, in immaculate, near mint condition except for one ding in the stock about the size of a pin head, and one tiny spot under the lever where the bluing is worn at the contact point. Now I'm reluctant to put my fingerprints on it! I'm guessing Aunt Claire hardly, if ever, fired this gun as wife Linda has no childhood memory of any kills.

How rare is this gun in that condition? What was the selling price of a 336RC in 1952? Does it eventually belong in a museum one day or should I pass it along to my son and grandson for them to do with as they see fit? From reading this forum I assess the current value at about $400 but for one this clean, maybe more? Opinions welcome please!

Larry Dee Church
Dee C Designs
Mintlake Lodge, Oregon Territory