Marlin 39?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jnyork
Beginner

Marlin 39?

Post by jnyork »

Good morning, fellows, I am a newb to this board, althought I have many years and post on 24hrCF, leverguns.com, varmints.com and Rimfirecentral who sent me over here. I am trying to chase down some firm info on a Marlin 39 .22 I have.

First of all, I don't think this is a Frankengun, the pattern of wear and deterioration of the finish is equal on all parts, making me believe it is original.

Serial number is 12xx, with no prefix, no suffix. The barrel is stamped "The Marlin Firearms Co. -Model 39- New Haven Conn USA 22S, L, &LR " The barrel stamp is somewhat faint, like the roll stamp was getting worn out.

The rear of the gun is a 39 for sure. The front appears to be configured like a 39A with the round barrel.

The condition is fair-good. Bore is bright and shiny , blue is starting to turn dull, the case colors on the left side of the receiver are still pretty much there, the right side is mostly brown patina. Stocks have some apparently indelible stains on them. Overall I would say about 85%. I have shot it , it functions perfectly.

Could this be a "transition model" from when they cut off manufacture of the 39 and started with the 39A?

Your comments will be most welcome

Best Regards. Jerry

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 39?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jerry;

This is not a transition gun between the 39 and 39-A. The first variation 39-A had a slender forearm like the Model 39, and your gun has the later, larger, "beavertail" style forearm that came out on the second variation of the Model 39-A.
Off hand, it would appear that your Marlin Model 39 receiver and butt stock was returned to the Marlin factory and a new barrel and forearm were installed. Probably a new magazine tube, too. This is not uncommon to have a new barrel installed at the factory. Many early Marlins can be found with newer barrels. The proper barrel marking for a Model 39 would be "Marlin Firearms Corporation" on the top line with "New Haven, Conn. U.S.A. Patented" on the second line along with .22 S-L & LR on the side of the barrel, just in front of the receiver.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
jnyork
Beginner

Post by jnyork »

Well, that is a solution I had not thought of and makes a lot of sense. Does not solve the mystery of the barrel being marked "Model -39-", what do you make of that, and what can you tell from the serial number , if anything? Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jerry;

For some reason, your pictures are not coming up, and I really would like to look at them again. Plus, I would like to see that barrel marking. With that low serial number, it makes for an interesting subject, as the first variation of the 39-A should have a letter prefix, and your serial number does not have a prefix.
Does your rifle have the trademark Marlin "Bullseye" in the toe of the stock? I did not see it in the photos the first time around.

jnyork
Beginner

Post by jnyork »

Don't know what's going on with the pix, they show up fine on my end.

I wish I could get a pic of the barrel stamp, but it is faint to the point it wont take chalk, I tried once before.

No "bullseye" or evidence of ever having one.

Try again on the pix:

jnyork
Beginner

Post by jnyork »

Here's the best of several attempts to get the barrel markings. Pretty poor but maybe you can get the idea.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jerry;

After looking at the photos again, this is really hard to put a finger on. The butt plate is not of an early Model 39, like the serial number tends to appear to be. It is more of the later style like those used on the early Model 39-A. The semi-beavertail forearm is correct for a first variation Model 39-A. I was wrong before about the forearm. Looking at the barrel marking, the word "The" is not visible in front of Marlin Firearms Company, and it should be there. You can see something there, but as you said, it is light stamp. Which brings us to the Model 39 on the barrel. I believe it should be 39-A, but like the missing "The", it just does not show up.
So, all in all, this probably is a first variation of the 39-A, using a left over Model 39 marked receiver. With such a low serial number, it would make sense that way.

jnyork
Beginner

Post by jnyork »

The word "The" is definitely there, just did not show in the photo. Maybe the "A" is supposed to be there but just didn't get stamped. The is definitely a little hyphen like this - before the "'39" and after it.

So, I guess we are going to say that it is an early "39" that has been back to the factory and got overhauled with a 39A barrel, mag and forarm, is that your take on it? I am probably going to list this for sale and want to be sure I am describing it exactly as it is for prospective buyers. Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jerry;

I believe this is an early 39-A, not a Model 39, returned and refitted with a new barrel and forearm.

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm certainly not a 39a expert, but everything about this gun appears to be like a first year 39a. I'm not familiar on what barrel rollstamp was used the first year, as I see so few. But the rest of the gun looks to be as all other first year 39a's were when shipped from the factory.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
jnyork
Beginner

Post by jnyork »

Thanks, marlinman, I appreciate your comments. Just so I am totally clear, do you agree that the rifle has been back to the factory for rebarreling and a new forend and mag tube? Best Regards. Jerry
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jerry;

No, this gun was originally shipped from the factory the way it is now.

jnyork
Beginner

Post by jnyork »

OK, I think I have it now. Thanks for all your replies and thanks for having patience with all my inane questions. :D

Best Regards to all

Jerry
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jerry;

No questions are inane when we are looking for accurate information. It is through questions that we get the answers to the subject we are looking for the information to.