Marlin model 92

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

barbercoka
Beginner

Marlin model 92

Post by barbercoka »

I inherited the model above. It is a model 92 with an octagon barrel: serial number 406439. I have fired it with LR 22 and it is in what I, a novice owner, would consider excellent condition. I can take pictures if someone is interested. What is the market for this? Thank you in advance for your advice and knowledge.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin model 92

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Barbercoka;

Do not use modern, high speed ammunition in your Marlin Model '92. It was made before the high speed ammunition became available and can harm your rifle. If you want to shoot it, use only standard velocity or target ammunition.
With a serial number in the 406,000 range, your Marlin Model '92 would have been made approximately 1908/1909 time frame. There are no factory records after 1906, so we can only estimate when it was made.
Value is very subjective when it comes to statements like "excellent condition" from someone that is not a long time collector. Value is strictly determined by the amount and condition of the remaining original factory finish on the wood and metal. Without knowing these conditions, and if the finish is the original finish, there is no way to give an estimation of value at this time. Sorry..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
barbercoka
Beginner

Re: Marlin model 92

Post by barbercoka »

Thank you Reginer''

You clearly have the expertise. I know the gun stock was "steel wooled" to a satin finish before my grandfather gave it to me for my fifteenth birthday along with all the Hoppe(?) cleaning supplies. I'm now 72. The metal parts are original, rust free and I've re-oiled them over the years as a maintenance routine in the absence of use. My grandsons will have no interest in this as an heirloom. I want to believe a gun like this when sold would not go to someone with criminal intent. Do you know where would I go/send the gun for an inspection/appraisal? Again, thank you for your assistance.