Model, and caliber information

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jschnierlein
Beginner

Model, and caliber information

Post by jschnierlein »

I have a friend who asked for my help in getting information on a Marlin rifle his father owned. It is a top ejection, lever action, octagonal barrel with the stampings: Patented October 11, 1887 and a serial number of 20752. I could not see a model number, nor a caliber. I believe it could be a model 1881 and the patent updating the model or a model 1888. Any help in this would be appreciated. The rifle appears to have been used, but in good condition.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model, and caliber information

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jschnierlein;

Your friend has a Marlin Model 1888. The Model 1888 was made from August of 1888 to October of 1889 with just under 5,000 rifles produced during the production run. It was made in 3 caliber, a .32-20, .38-40 and .44-40.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model, and caliber information

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jschnierlein;

Upon returning home from the Denver gun show hosted by the Colorado Gun Collectors Association, I have checked the old Marlin records to find your friend has a rare Model 1888. The records show it left the factory in late 1888 with a 28 inch octagon barrel and half magazine. A breakdown of the records show that only 198 of the 4,647 Model 1888's listed in the records had a 28 inch barrel. Only 78 are shown to have a half magazine. Only 1,776 were listed in the .38-40 caliber that this gun shows in the records.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.