Identifying Receiver

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

GrandpaBear
Beginner

Identifying Receiver

Post by GrandpaBear »

I am sure that like Ruger Blackhawks, there are various things that can be used to identify various receivers manufactured by Marlin.
I am aware that some rifles might have been rebarreled and I was looking at how to identify these different receivers.
I would imagine that the original 1893 rifles didn't have tapped receivers for scope mounts and that is the type of thing I'm talking about:
When did Marlin start tapping its receivers?
When did they go from 2 to 3 screw holes?
When did they start putting mat finish on the top of the receiver?
When did they go from 2 tangs to 1 tang?
When did the put the serial number on the top tang?
Where were the serial numbers put in various iterations of the receivers?

Thanks.
NRA Certified Instructor & CRSO
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Identifying Receiver

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Grandpabear;

If all of your questions refer to the Model 1893 and Model '93 then Marlin never did tap the top of the receiver for scope mounts. After August 1, of 1903, Marlin did tap the top of the receiver with two holes for the Marlin-Hepburn receiver sight. No more than two holes in the top of the receiver. The Model 1893/'93 never had a mat finish on the top of the receiver, that did not start until the Model 36 in the late 1930's and early 1940's and after the war.
The Model 1893/'93 never had the serial number on the top tang. The serial number of the 1893 was always up near the forearm, and most of the Model '93's were under the lever.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.